I am so excited about this next project! I love essential oils and essential oils of all kinds. I am always trying to find ways to use them for my home and my family. My favorite ways to use essential oils are, yes, in our very popular homemade cleaners, but also for diffusing in different ways. So, when the Christmas season came upon us, I wanted to find some festive and fun ways to incorporate essential oils for a healthier home – what better way than with an Essential Oil Diffuser Homemade Christmas Ornament??
My thought process started down the path of an essential oil ornament because we have a fake tree (due to allergies). Real quick funny bunny trail: last year, we decided to try a real tree for the first time and “suffer through the allergies because we all wanted that authentic Christmas experience and real pine smell. I didn’t want to use chemical fragrances and so we did. But…you would not believe what happened……
We apparently bought a real tree that had a spider nest. Yes, a spider nest. So…have you ever seen a spider nest? There’s like hundreds….no, thousands of baby spiders and they are teeny tiny, like a 1/4 of the size of an ant. Yeah, I will stop there other than to say that this tree was in our family room and we have three little girls that witnessed the whole thing going down (they thought they saw something moving, and they moved in for a closer view). I still have nightmares. This year, our daughters said, “we don’t care what you want, we only want to put up our fake tree. We never want a real tree again!”
I am sure this is very rare as I haven’t heard of anyone else who has had this experience, but it was enough for all of us to be content with a fake tree from here on out!
Well, back to the fake tree and wanting that Christmas experience. As I was pondering what I could do for the tree beyond diffusing scents into the air, I realized I could make ornaments that will “absorb” the essential oils and diffuse them into the air around the tree – essentially my own version of an essential oil diffuser but in the form of an ornament!
Let me tell you, these are awesome!! We all LOVE them, have festive, healthy, scents being diffused into the air!
I had a few holiday and Christmas type scents in my essential oil collection at home from my favorite brand. But if you don’t have holiday scents specifically, rosemary, pine, cinnamon or any tree oil would work well!
These are also SUPER EASY to make (don’t you hear that phrase – super easy – on our site a lot? There’s a reason why: THIS super busy, frugal mom. :))
I am posting the directions below, but I also made a quick video for you so you can see how easy and fast it is!
Please note: you don’t want to paint, coat in lacquer, or any other substance as you want the ornament to absorb the oil and diffuser the therapeutic scents, not the chemicals.
Essential Oil Diffuser Homemade Christmas Ornament
- Plaster of Paris
- Disposable cup
- Disposable spoon
- Ornament mold, or soap mold (you will need chopsticks or kebob sticks and hot glue if you are using a non-ornament mold)
- Decor (like a Christmas bow)
- Essential Oil(s) of choice
- Prepare your soap molds by hot gluing the sticks in the top center of the mold so that you have a hold for the ornament string.
- Mix the Plaster of Paris with the water in the disposable cup with the disposable spoon (follow package directions).
- Once mixed, pour into the molds.
- Let set for about 20-30 mins. at that time, spin the stick to “loosen” it to make it easier to pull it out once completely dry.
- After about 1-hour, remove from molds and remove sticks and let set to continue to dry.
- Let dry for several hours…even overnight.
- Add the string and any decor you want (again, don’t paint or coat in anything – you don’t want to diffuse the chemicals in paints/coatings).
- Add several drops of essential oil on the back. The plaster of Paris will absorb the oils nicely to diffuse into the air around the tree.
- Add more oil every few days or as needed.
If you would like to learn what essential oils I have chosen to use for my family and my home, please see my essential oil journey that has been a long road regarding my story and experience with Young Living oils here. In addition, I share the best deal you can find on them.
Here’s a video of me making our ornaments!
See more DIY Project Ideas HERE