It’s time for our next homemade cleaning product recipe!
Again, I absolutely LOVE making my own cleaning products for several reasons, including:
- Safe for our kids to use
- Easier (I can make most of them in just a couple of minutes, vs. running out and needing to get more at the store)
- More fun
- I also know exactly what is in them!
So, it’s time for our simple recipe that we use to create a homemade DIY dusting spray with lemon that is a frugal and healthier replacement to the commercial product Pledge.
I make 4 oz. at a time and store it in a glass spray bottle. It realistically will keep for only 2-3 months since it is made with natural ingredients, so the smaller bottle ensures that I don’t have to throw any out after a few months.
Here’s the ingredients:
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water (purified or boiled and cooled)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil
We have talked about Lemon Essential Oil many times on our site as it is such a great item to have on hand for natural cleaning and natural solutions to many issues. In fact, you can read up on 17 Helpful Household Uses for Lemon Essential Oil HERE. Then we also talk about the different qualities and purities of the essential oils and the 7 Best Essential Oils for Cleaning in this post HERE along with where you can get it for less.
Now this particular combination of ingredients for a dusting spray is intended to do a few things – clean, disinfect and moisturize/nourish the woods and furniture that you intend to dust. This combination will do all of that. *Now like with any homemade product, you will always want to test a small inconspicuous area on the item you intend to use this on before a full use and application to test it!
Here’s how to make this dusting spray:
- Just add the water and vinegar first, using a funnel.
- Then add the olive oil and essential oils.
- Put the spray lid on and shake vigorously.
You are probably already asking – “since it is oil, vinegar and water…. it won’t mix?” Yes, you are right! It is much like Italian Dressing, before you use it, you have to shake it to mix it and pour immediately on your salad. Same concept here.
How to use it:
- To use it, first…. shake it up!
- Then I spray a rag or microfiber cloth with the spray and then wipe the surface. I don’t spray the surface directly.
Enjoy the natural and effective results!