This post is just another sample of how we attempt to be thrifty in every area of life – we want to provide information and resources on how we save money, be thrifty, get out of debt and be wiser spenders in every area of life so you can too! Salon services is another area in life in which there are many savings to be found. We have lots of ideas to share on haircare for the family, but this article is just going to focus on one of the ideas and ways that we save money in this area.
Head for the beauty college! Yea, that’s right, a student working on your hair! The thought just might make your hair stand up straight! But why?
In a nutshell:
- It is about 50-75% the cost of national salon chains
- It is about 25-33% the cost of a full-service salon
- They use top of the line products
- They are on the cutting edge of haircare and working and learning all day
- The teachers are there to watch and guide them (and to fix any mistakes :))
- It is smart!
We have personally done this little trick for years! I can get the services I want and not feel guilty or break the bank! Also, I personally have never had a negative experience, and my hair has turned out great! So let me give you an example. I told you earlier that I would post about “redeeming my birthday present” and so it was a new “do!” I haven’t had a cut, highlights and style for quite a while and I always love it! It is a wonderful treat!
So it was myself and my two little girls that had a day at the salon!
The girls were getting a haircut and style and I was getting a cut, style and 2 color weave!
As you can tell, we all desperately needed some work!!
So we went and enjoyed some girl time!
Here’s our 5-year old with her after picture from her trim and style, isn’t it soooo pretty!
And here is our 6-year old with her after picture – check out this girl’s gorgeous long hair – even after cutting a couple of inches!
And me after my cut, 2 -color weave and style (I wanted a simple style that they could show me how to literally jump out of the shower and not fuss with it – I will see if it works!)
So here’s the bill for the 3 of us:
- 3 Haircuts and styles Salon average $24 each = $72
- 1 2-color weave with 18 foils salon average for long hair $95 = $167 total price for our local salon averages!!
- 3 Haircuts and Styles $6.50 beauty school price = $19.50.
- 1 2-color weave with 18 foils for long hair $36.00 = $55.50
- Then used 3 coupons for $5 haircuts (found in our local business coupon mailers) – $4.50 = $51.00
- Then used $10 of color service coupon (from the same mailer) = final is $41.00 for all of the above – a savings of 76% off of our local average salon prices!!
Also, most schools offer full-service salon and spa services with the same kind of savings too!
Just call your local beauty college to find pricing and to find out if they have any coupons out so you can start saving and getting great services too! Also, you can ask for a senior or a student about to graduate to do your service 😉
Have you ever tried your local beauty college? How was your experience??
This is just one way we save in the area of haircare and services and we have many ideas to come in this area – stay tuned…….