It is time for Thrifty Kids Thursday. We wanted to share our Emergency Homemade Play Dough recipe.
This is a GREAT quick and very entertaining activity for kids and entertains in a wide window of ages! Plus this playdough is safe and non-toxic.
We named it Emergency Play Dough because it is something we can put together fast. We have more involved play dough recipes, but this is for when “it has been one of those days!”
We have tried a few quick play dough recipes, but this seems to be the most like play dough of any that we have tried.
Let’s quickly put this play dough together because there is a boredom emergency around here and I need to get things done!
What you will need:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cup of water
- 4-6 drops of food coloring
- Mixing bowl
- Kitchen tools
How to make:
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 4-6 drops of food coloring with the water.
- Pour the water into the flour/salt mixture.
- Mix with a spoon initially until all of the water is soaked up.
- Then begin kneading with your hands until it is blended.
- Finish kneading on the table until a big soft ball forms.
- You can add more water if the dough is sticky or more flour if it is too dry.
- Store in a Ziploc bag or airtight container. You do not need to refrigerate.
- Then let the kids have hours of fun imaginative play.
- We just pull out safe kitchen tools to let the kids pretend with – “ain’t no fancy tools ’round here!”
It takes about 5 minutes to make Emergency Play Dough and will give you potential hours to get things done 🙂 Plus, it is super cheap!