ACK! I am late posting our menu!!! BUT DON’T WORRY – we have not been starving or going without food the last few days 😉 I am seriously going to try to switch my menu to posting it on Saturdays – there are just too many deals that swallow up the week that it is hard to find out where to fit this in….. but at any rate, here is this week’s menu!
As a recap of how our menu works:
- We don’t necessarily have a day-by-day plan for our lunches and breakfasts or snacks, just our dinners. We have a list of ideas for those meals that week, and so we wake up eating selections from the list. For lunches, we also have a list of possible lunch ideas for that week, but most lunches end up being leftovers, which is why we have a loose plan!
- Although we have stayed within our $240 per month budget (covers groceries, toiletries, household, and diapers), we haven’t necessarily tracked how much each meal costs us and thought it would be fun to figure it out and share it with you as well. We will be laying out the cost of our dinners!
- Desserts are planned last minute as well! We usually crack open a box of cookies, however, we lay out ideas and then sometimes make something special!
- Our Sunday dinner plans are varied, we try to have guests from church over every other week, if we know in advance, we usually put a roast in the crockpot, or prepare a casserole. If it is planned last minute (as many are) we have homemade chilis and stews in the freezer to heat up, frozen entrees and sides to heat up, or lots of pastas to quickly feed a crowd! Thank goodness for a full pantry! Anyway, if it is just us, we usually have leftovers, lunch or snack items, or simple prepared meals! So on our menu, you will find Sunday’s marked with a “?”
- Our goal for this site is to share the deals, freebies, hot finds; but we also want to share how we live as a larger family on a tight budget everyday and ways that we try to live thriftily in every area of life….. so this would be one of them!
Here are the ideas for breakfasts this week:
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Breakfast Casserole
- Scrambled Eggs & Toast
Here are the ideas for lunches this week:
- Soup, veggies, fruits and chips
- Cheese Sandwiches and tomato soups
Here are the snack ideas for this week:
- Apples and grapes
- Carrots and dip
Here are the dessert ideas this week:
- Monday: Baked Spaghetti, Crescent Rolls, steamed veggies
- Tuesday: FREE Corndogs (after a few bites of leftover Baked Spaghetti ;))
- Wednesday: Crockpot Roast, potatoes and carrots, salad, crescent rolls
- Thursday: Daddy at a meeting – Mommy and kids get dinner out after a full day of shopping running errands!
- Friday: Beef and potato Enchiladas, refried beans and green salad
- Saturday: Father’s Day celebration with extended family!
- Sunday: Low-key leftovers, soups, sandwiches, etc.!
Monday: Baked Spaghetti, Crescent Rolls, steamed veggies
- 1 lb. ground turkey $2.00
- 1 box spaghetti .12
- 1 can spaghetti sauce .40
- eggs and ingredients needed for “baked” part of the recipe est. around .30
- Crescent rolls $1.23
- Steamed frozen veggies .63
Total Cost: $4.68 for the whole meal for 6 = about .78 per serving!
Tuesday: FREE Corndogs (after a few bites of leftover Baked Spaghetti ;))
Wednesday: Crockpot Roast, potatoes and carrots, salad, crescent rolls
- 1 beef roast $3.23
- fresh potatoes about 1/6 of a 10 lb bag that cost .99, so I guess .17
- Carrots 1/3 of a bag .33
- Salad and dressings $1.00
- Crescent Rolls $1.23
Total Cost: $5.96 for the whole meal for 6 = about .99 per serving!
Thursday: Daddy at a meeting – Mommy and kids get dinner out after a full day of shopping running errands!
Does not count for our grocery budget, but our eating out budget!
Total Cost: $6.79 for the whole meal for 6 = about $1.13 per serving!
Friday: Beef and potato enchiladas, refried beans, salad, homemade corn bread
- Leftover roast and potatoes FREE
- 6 tortilla shells .50
- Family size enchilada sauce $2.18
- Salad and dressings $1.00
- Dehydrated refried beans about .20 worth? This is from a large can of dehydrated beans!)
- Homemade corn bread .40
Total Cost: $4.28 for the whole meal for 6 = .71 per serving!
Saturday: Father’s Day celebration with extended family!
Sunday: Low key – leftovers, soups, sandwiches = CHEAP
COST SUMMARY FOR THIS WEEK’S DINNERS: Cost for the dinners this week $21.71 for the 6 of us!!