Thrifty Al did our shopping trip by himself this week ( I say that not condescendingly, but it is really that easy!!). Between me needing to be a wife, mom, home educator, blogger, declutterer and all with one hand from my finger incident, I just couldn’t (and haven’t) left the house. Thrifty Al does already do a lot of it, and most of it we do together!
Well, in planning this week’s trip, we have a couple of other things that we are trying to accomplish – healthier eating (which we are slowly but surely trying to achieve) and especially balancing this out with eating many more fresh fruits, veggies, home made breads and finding alternative ways to prepare foods for a healthier version. With that, I have also joined up on a friendly Biggest Loser competition with neighbors. So I wanted to get some foods that would be quick and easy for me to prepare and eat during the day, thus all of the SmartOnes!
So here’s a picture of what he bought:
Here’s the breakdown:
- 1 case Kroger honey $27.00 which included 12 (disclaimer – in all of the years we have been couponing, honey is one item that is VERY rare to come by really cheap, and usually one of the only things we buy in a case as it is the cheapest that way! Plus we have and are continuing to use honey as an alternative to sugar in all of our cooking) = final is $27 for 12 bottles or $2.25 each!
- 2 Gallons milk for $1.79 each = final is $3.58
- Smiths/ Kroger flour tortillas sale for $1 each = final is $2.00
- 2 Mission corn tortillas sale for $1.39 each = $2.78. Then used 2 .75/1 SS 3/7 – $1.50 = final is $1.28 or .64 each!
- 2 Kroger cottage cheese sale for $1.00 each = final is $2.00
- 2 Kroger veggie/chip dips sale for $1.00 each = final is $2.00
- 2 Yoplait Greek yogurts for $1.19 each = $2.38. Then used 2 FREE coupons (we will tell you about this soon!) = final is FREE
- 1 Kroger margarine for $1.17 = final is $1.17
Items for FREE Movie Tickets – for every 10 items purchased, you received a FREE ticket.
- 1 Snuggle liquid fabric softener (not pictured, it was snuggled away and missed it’s photo op!) sale for $3.99. Then used $1/1 RP 3/28 = final is .99
- 10 Smart Ones for $2 each = $20. Then used 2 $1/5 – $2 = final is $18 for 10 or $1.80 each (there is now a $3/10 coupon HERE!)
- 5 Quaker Oatmeal sale for $2 each = $10. In-store promo, if you bought 5, get an additional $5 off = $5. Then used 2 $1/1 = final is $3 for 5 or .60 each. Thrifty Al had enough coupons to get all of them for FREE, but the other coupons were specifically for the True Delights oatmeal, when he got to the store, all of the True Delights available contained nuts. Since we have nut allergies in our kids, we try not to even allow them in our home. So he bought 3 without coupons, but still averaged out to be .60!
- 2 Sargento Cheese sale for $1.99 = $3.98. Then used $1/1 (use zip code 03104) = final is $1.98 for 2 or .99 each!
- 1 Smart Balance sour cream sale for $1.35. Then used $1/1 RP 3/21 = final is .35
- 4 DanActive Drinkable yogurts sale for $2.00 each = $8. Then used 4 $1/1 SS 3/28 = final is $4 for 4 or $1 each.
- 1 Dannino Kids yogurt sale for $2. Then used $1/1 SS 3/28 = final is $1.00
- 1 Danimals sale for $2. Then used $1/1 SS 3/28 = final is $1.00
- 4 Dannon Activia $2 each = $8. Then used 4 $1/1 SS 2/28 = final is $4
He bought 30 items above and also received 3 movie tickets, which is a $8.25 value at our local theater = $24.75 in FREE movie tickets (Plus we still have one left from a past promo = 2 FREE dates!!
Also, he went to WinCo last week to load up on fruits and veggies for the week – this was our shopping trip last week – only fruits, veggies and eggs. We didn’t get a picture of the trip, but he spent $27 and bought almost exactly the same fruits and veggies from our last trip, plus a dozen organic brown eggs (almost everything from before, but without the breads as we are making some of them at home!).
Smiths/Kroger trip – Total was $93.24 AFTER sales but BEFORE coupons. He then used $20.88 in coupons!! The new total spent was $72.36. This included $27 of honey for storage. Without the storage honey = $45.36!! He saved an average of 55% off sale prices PLUS then got $24.75 in FREE movie tickets on top of that. So…. a final total of $20.61!!! Plus we are still eating all of the fruits and veggies from last week’s shopping trip to WinCo. We are coming in WAY under budget this month, even with our honey stock-up!! Yay!
How did your shopping trips go this week?