Today I am sharing a super easy, practical DIY idea to make life a little easier in the kitchen. DIY dish mitts from kitchen towels. These can be used to wash or dry dishes, to wash counters and wash and polish appliances.
Not only is this frugal (you can use towels from the dollar store), but it is practical and can make for a great gift (especially bridal shower gift). These are also fun to make for seasonal gifts and use in your home. It adds an extra fun element to seasons and holidays.
I find that these make cleaning the kitchen and washing dishes much easier and a bit more fun…hey, whatever is needed to make housework more enticing…right?!?
This is also a great project for the beginning sewer as it requires super basic sewing ability and can be a fun way to practice.
Note that depending on the size of your original kitchen towel, you may be able to get more than one mitt per towel.
I have also made microfiber ones for cleaning mirrors, windows and cleaning bathrooms. You can make these from pretty much any cleaning rag for any cleaning purpose, so get DIYing before your cleaning.
How to make DIY Dish Mitts from Kitchen Towels
Materials and supplies needed for DIY Dish Mitts from Kitchen Towels:
- Any kitchen hand towel
- Sewing pins
- 8 1/2 X 11 paper
- Sewing machine and thread
Directions for DIY Dish Mitts from Kitchen Towels:
- Trace your hand on a piece of white paper.
- Cut your paper around your traced hand like a mitten, make sure you leave at least an inch all the way around your hand, especially at the cuff.
- Fold your towel in half widthwise.
- Use your cut out mitten as a template/pattern and place the cuff at the bottom of the towel.
- Pin your pattern in place.
- Cut out one or both mitten shaped towels depending on the size of your kitchen towel.
- Remove your pins from your pattern and mitten shaped towels.
- Now place your two mitten shaped towels together, pattern side facing each other and pin together like so, leaving the cuff open.
- Using a sewing machine, sew your towels along your pinned edges.
- Turn your mitten right side out and place on your hand to wash or dry your dishes.
Once you have these made, you can start using them right away! You can just use and wash like you would any kitchen towel or dishcloth.
Do you plan to make these for your cleaning purposes or for a gift?
See more DIY Ideas