As we have stated many times before, we love to make our own bulk homemade versions of store-bought foods to save money and health!
So, we thought it was time to share our Taco Seasoning recipe with y’all!
We use this for many recipes: tacos, spanish rice, Crock Pot Taco Bake, enchiladas, fajitas, beans, quesadillas, soups, chili’s, etc. so, so many things! It is a universal mix for all foods/dishes Mexican themed or anything wanting a bit of a spice to it!
Here’s what you need:
– 6 TBSP of Chili Powder
– 2 tsp. garlic powder
– 2 tsp. onion powder
– 2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (you can reduce this to reduce spice)
– 2 tsp. Oregano
– 1.5 tsp. Paprika
– 3 TBSP Cumin
– 2 tsp. Salt
– 1.5 tsp. Pepper
Just mix all of these together in a bowl and store in an air tight container. Re-using glass jars works well!
I also found these cute jars from Hobby Lobby for less than $2 (and even cheaper with the 40% off coupon!), I painted the chalk board style label on it. The lid has a seal and it has a little tsp. scoop attached. It works perfectly for my homemade seasonings!
– 2 TBSP is equal to one 1-ounce envelope of seasoning. So you can use this ratio in your recipes. If you use one pouch/envelope, then use 2 TBSP of this mix.
– This mix will make 7-8 regular portion recipes.
– Adjust as you want/needed for recipes.
– This will store for a very long time!
As a couple of hints, I went to Big Lots where they have the big 3-5 oz bottles of these spices for only $1 each! That is a GREAT price. Walmart sells the 1-2 oz ones for .50 – $1 which is another great alternative. I have made 2 batches from the Big Lots ones and they will probably last me 5+ batches. So it is one of the most affordable ways to go. The ones from Walmart will last 2-4 batches depending on the spice. In the end, you will probably be able to get about 35+ envelopes worth of Taco Seasoning for about $9.
Print off the recipe below and keep it in your Home Binder!
|Homemade Taco Seasoning|| || |
- - 6 TBSP of Chili Powder
- - 2 tsp. garlic powder
- - 2 tsp. onion powder
- - 2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (you can reduce this to reduce spice)
- - 2 tsp. Oregano
- - 1.5 tsp. Paprika
- - 3 TBSP Cumin
- - 2 tsp. Salt
- - 1.5 tsp. Pepper
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container. They will store for a long time.
- To use: 2 TBSP is equal to one envelope/pouch of store-bought seasoning. Adjust recipes accordingly. This recipe will make around 7-8 batches of recipes requiring 1 envelope of seasoning.
See more Recipes
Thank you for this! Now I don’t have to pay for it in the store.
Used this tonight for veggie tacos and it was great! Thanks!
I just made this and it didn’t thicken up after simmering like traditional taco seasoning you buy in the packet. How can I fix that? It would run right out of the taco shell like this:(
I just re-read the recipe. Do you not add water (2/3 cup per batch).like the normal taco pkt says to?
So that’s the case? Quite a reiovatlen that is.
That’s really thinking at an impressive level