Homemade Jet Dry is a perfect DIY solution to the expensive rinse agent. This homemade Jet Dry version is CHEAP, EFFECTIVE, EASY and NATURAL. I have been using this solution for close to 8 years. I haven’t purchased rinse agent in all of that time, saving time, money and avoiding harmful chemicals.
If you like this idea, please “Pin” it to Pinterest!
Previously, I shared our Homemade Natural Dishwasher Detergent for only .05 per load, which is an awesome recipe. This is the perfect recipe after much testing and tweaking. BUT…there was something still missing. It was that perfect finish to the load! So I made up my own Jet Dry with 2 ingredients, less than 5 minutes to make and only .30 each Jet Dry bottle equivalent to end up with a finishing wash!
As a reminder, I use essential oils for many things, including cleaning. These are the “secret” ingredients to make these cleaners have their “antibacterial effect.” Read up on the top oils for cleaning and how to get a great deal on them HERE!
Here’s the simple recipe and ingredients needed:
- 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (I like to use lemon, but any of the 7 oils from our germ/bacteria fighting oils list will work fine…lemon, cinnamon and lavender do smell best though ;))
Step #1 – Add 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to a measuring cup.
Step#2 – Add your 10-15 drops of lemon or other essential oil to the Hydrogen Peroxide.
Step #3 – Pour into your rinse agent compartment of your dishwasher. I have to do this about every 30 days.
If you have any left over, I usually use it to clean my sinks and other spots in the kitchen. Fill-up your sink with some hot soapy water (not very much as you don’t want it diluted a whole lot), maybe about 1″ deep. Then pour your remaining Jet Dry mixture into the sink. Let it soak for a few minutes and then use a rag and shine up your sink, oven, microwave, counter tops, etc.!
Here’s the cost breakdown:
- 32 oz. bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for .88 – this will make 4 batches (or 4 months worth) = .22 each batch
- Essential Oil around $6 a bottle which will last for a LONG time (ours has lasted forever) so we will estimate around $0.28 to be conservative?
TOTAL per batch = .30 per 8oz. bottle compared to $2.56 each 8oz. bottle at Walmart. And this is a natural option as well!
Here’s a printable recipe that you can put in your home binder:
|Homemade Natural Jet Dry (Rinse Agent) and Only .30 Per Bottle|| || |
- 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- 10-15 drops of lemon or lavender essential oil (or one of the other 5 from our hot cleaning essential oils list)
- Measure 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- Add your 10-15 drops of Essential Oil
- Pour into your rinse agent compartment in your dishwasher (about every 30 days)
We also HIGHLY recommend that you put this in your home binder along with many more things we will be sharing! See all of the information on this in our previous post HERE about Put Together Your Home Binder with Free Downloads.
Don’t forget to print off your shopping list to make 23 Homemade Products for around $12 that includes the items for this and the other 222 products!
Finally, use this new thrifty and healthy cleaning product as part of our Spring Cleaning Challenge.