Here is another yummy breakfast or dinner recipe! We love to make nice breakfasts on Saturday morning and even include a nice breakfast for dinner here and there! This is a reciepe that we threw together one day as a fun healthy way to incorporate oatmeal and blueberries!
Here’s what you will need:
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 1 cup of flour (this can be white or wheat or half/half. Also if you have any oat bran flour – you can make this 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 oat bran flour)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- A few dashes of salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup blueberries (you can use fresh or frozen!)
- Flaxseed (optional)
- First, in a large bowl, pour the milk and oats together and let the oats soak up the milk for a few minutes while you mix the other ingredients.
- Then in a separate bowl, mix the flour(s), baking powder, salt and sugar (if not using honey)
- Then stir in beaten eggs, butter and honey (if not using sugar!), and Flaxseed if you choose!
- Then add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mixture and stir until blended!
- Finally, fold in the blueberries and lightly mix in!
You are now ready to cook those awesome hot cakes!
We usually cook them on a griddle at about 325 degrees. We cook the first side until it is bubbly, then flip and cook the second side for a few minutes! Serve warm with whipped cream, honey, syrup, jams/jellies or any other of your favorite hot cake toppings!
Sorry for the “not so great picture.” The idea of sharing this with all of you hit me in the middle of cooking them and I just grabbed by phone real quick to take a pic!
It is a favorite and sneakily healthy! Offsets the bacon ya’ know 😉 Enjoy from our Thrifty Kitchen to yours!!
Thanks Alex and Cassie! I was just sitting here pondering what to make for dinner. I happen to have all the ingredients here, so … it’s Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes for the Lucero household tonight! 🙂
Awesome!! I hope you loved them as much as we did!! The kids ate them up like hotcakes….sorry, had to say that. 🙂 I’m not usually a huge fan of pancakes but really enjoyed these.
I’m so worried about the direction our children are headed in nowadays. Watching Jamie Olivers food revolution tv program scared the thingies out of me. I suggest we all start cooking some healthy recipe like these at home if we’re going to fix this horrible situation. The ones on that site seem pretty easy, I tried last night and it’s the first time my family has eaten healthy in so long, I just feel great.