What a great idea!
Turn old sweaters into a crochet sweater pet bed. It is really quite simple.
Gather a bunch of old sweaters. You are going to cut them up, so be sure you are done with them. You can also grab old “ugly” sweaters from thrift stores and garage sales quite inexpensively. They are perfect for this project and it doesn’t matter if they are “ugly” or not!
Cal from Hodge Podge farm site made this Crochet sweater pet bed.
Here’s what you do:
- Cut your sweaters into 1″-2″ strips.
- Then roll your sweater strips into balls (like a yarn ball)
- Begin crocheting your bed by starting with the bottom circle – Using a jumbo hook – begin the circle by chaining 2 and working 5 sc into the 2nd chain from the hook.
- Increase every stitch for the second round, every other stitch in the third round, every third stitch in the fourth round, etc. Keep going in this pattern until the bottom is as large as you want it to be. (Note from Cal: When working with sweaters, I join by simply overlapping two strips for a few inches, twisting them together, and continuing on with the new one.)
- Then it is time to work on the sides.
- Unlike the bottom, work the next round even (one stitch in every stitch), working in the front loop only to create a sharper edge at the turn. Keeping working for several more rounds, until you reach your desired height for the bed. Note: After the first round of the sides, revert to working in both loops.
- When the bed is tall enough, work a few slip stitches to blend into the edge, and finish off and weave in your tails.
See more DIY Ideas HERE
See our DIY Pinterest Board HERE
See more fun on our Facebook page HERE