We wanted to share an “anti” Black Friday post with you. Now you might be thinking that we are completely bi-polar over here as we have been posting Black Friday Deals, Tips and more like crazy getting everyone “hyped” and prepared for the shopping day. But let me be down right truthful. Thrifty Cas and I will be home, sipping our coffee while enjoying the calm and quiet of the house while shopping online.
First, I would like to provide you some context (you know we love to share stories). We have been out on Black Friday numerous times. But for me, they have usually been painful memories. Why? Let me count thy ways:
- I am a skeptic at heart – I’m skeptical about most everything (including Black Friday) unless something changes my view
- I hate the cold and live in N. Utah – home of the 2002 WINTER Games
- We lived in Southeast Idaho prior to that where the temperatures were that much colder!
- I love my sleep
- Crowds frustrate me
- I think making buying decisions based on “hype” and “emotion” can be a detriment to our budget – only a well planned Black Friday shopping day can be useful to any budget (and very well disciplined one at that!)
- All-in-all – I end the day grouchy, tired and often end up sick
The last couple of years, Thrifty Cas and I would research, read reviews, budget, plan and scope out the deals for the items we needed. Then the time would come to figure out where to get the lowest price. Thrifty Cas would pull out her ads and we would strategize and plan where we should go. We have been there and done that – we have frenzied and lived the excitement! But, over the last few years I think I have converted Thrifty Cas to a slightly different approach.
The last few years we have been able to score the same or better deals from the comfort of our own home with on our trusty computer. And better yet we didn’t freeze, get sick, or wait in lines for hours (literally I remember one year that Cas waited in line for hours at Toys R Us). Problem solved!
So there is light at the end of the tunnel for you non-Black Friday deal seekers! Why? Well its time to do some more counting (I am overly analytical if you can’t tell).
- In this day and age, many more retailers are realizing the online shopping market is growing by leaps and bounds and becoming the preferred norm for many households.
- As such, the online deals are very competitive because there are more options for consumers.
- Each year more of the larger retailers are offering their Black Friday deals from their ads online too – often times with FREE shipping.
- Online shopping could often yield more savings than actually going in-store. Why? There are often a numerous assortment of online codes from percent off to free shipping and more. Many retailers will often allow you to “stack” coupon codes that will bring more savings. In addition, there are even other numerous ways to save online.
- You can still experience the thrill of getting that great deal and of all your research paying off!
- You can shop in your PJs, avoid the crowds, avoid the cold, avoid higher risk of getting sick, be less cranky, less tired, less irritable and…those items come right to you! What could be better?!
Often times we have gotten a better deal or the same deal – sometimes we have paid only a little more. The times we have paid a little more it has not been more 10% additional cost than the in-store Black Friday cost – but the hours and sacrifice saved from purchasing this item online rather than in the store was definitely worth more than the difference. However, even the times we have spent more is becoming more of the exception as time marches on!
Now I know for some that going out on Black Friday is such a thrill and is so exciting that even if the deal could be found online you might still want to go out and have the “Black Friday experience”. I totally get that! So my hat is off to you while I drink my warm cup of coffee in front of my warm computer while I score the deals in minutes!
With that being said, we will be posting many of the online deals we see as well – and have already during this busy holiday season!
We would love to hear from you. Do you enjoy and thrive off the frenzy and just love Black Friday? Or will you be more like us now and enjoy getting the deals online while leaving that frenzy for others? Leave a comment and share with us!
Thanks to writeissideways.com to the relaxing, yet dangerous cup of coffee on the laptop.