You know that we love to post real and awesome deals or freebies when they pop up! Well, this one is certainly one of those freebies that you don’t want to pass up! The DIY butterfly gardens – basically a way to grow butterfly friendly flowers/garden are FREE right now through the National Wildlife Federation. This would be an absolutely incredible family activity, especially if you combine it with the super popular Butterfly kits that we have tried a few times and are an amazing experience! You can combine the two and your family will have a wonderful summer enjoying these beautiful creatures in your own butterfly garden!
This is a freebie that you can get for a short time, until May 15, 2014 or until supplies last. We assume that they will not last that long as these kits are just too cool!
Here’s how it works:
- Snap a photo of yourself, kids, etc., making the sign language sign for butterfly (using your phone would be the easiest)
- Then upload the photo to the National Wildlife Federation website and fill-out the form.
- Then you will receive a FREE Butterfly Garden Starter Kit in the mail!
Here’s what’s included in your FREE kit:
- Seed packet with native milkweed or a flowering nectar plant
- Monarchs drink nectar from flowers and their caterpillars eat only milkweed
- A list of milkweed and nectar plants native to your region
- Ask your garden center for the best plants on our list to add to your garden
- Ranger Rick Nature Notebook
- Observe your garden and the butterflies, caterpillars, and other wildlife that make it their new home!
- Butterfly Heroes Sticker and Poster
- Show your Butterfly Hero Pride!
After you have claimed your free garden, seriously consider this amazing project of growing/raising your own butterflies from the larvae (see the video on the link to see how it works -it’s one of the BEST activities our family has done). Then you see them turn into butterflies and let them go! Combined with your garden, you will have a great experience. Note that these kits are on sale right now, they don’t include the larvae, but all the pieces you need. It DOES include the coupon for the larvae when you are ready to raise your butterflies. So you can grab the kit while it’s on sale and then redeem the larvae coupon when you are ready to watch the butterflies go from caterpillar to butterfly!
Head to the site HERE to see the actual live butterfly kit that you can purchase to add to your free garden kit! It’s one sale right now!