For our big Thanksgiving craft this year, we made handprint T-shirts! These are for the kids and it is their sweet little handprints! Each year, we try to make something memorable. I love my kids’ handprints! They are so sweet and special! As a side note, for a few years, we had stocking that we would trace the next year’s hand print on until it was full! I loved this and so I wanted to do something with handprints for Thanksgiving this year! And the results are awesome! I love them, they love them and they were quite affordable to make! First, the supplies are quite simple. T-shirts (old or new) and fabric paint. We bought everything new at Hobby Lobby. The T-shirts are normally $3.49, but were on sale for $2.50 each (4 for $10). I needed 5, and so this cost me $12.50. Then we bought 6 fabric paints (brown, blue, orange, red, yellow, green) at .99 each = $5.94. I already had the foam brushes as we stocked up a while back at .08 each. But I keep reusing these for other projects, so it wasn’t an extra expense. For $18.44, we made 5 brand new cute Thanksgiving t-shirts! This was only $3.69 each new! Here’s how we made it:
- Get your paints and foam brushes ready.
- Get your t-shirts ready by pre-washing if not pre-washed and pre-shrunk. Then place a cardboard backing in between the shirt layers for a nice flat surface and to keep paint bleeding to the backside.
- With your kids’ clean hands, “paint” their hands in the colors you want. For the turkey, paint the palm and thumb brown and then a variety of colors for the 4 remaining fingers.
- Press their hand down and then pull their hand off!
- I also then filled in any missing holes and spots with the foam brush.
- Let dry on the cardboard.
- Once they dry, go back and add the beak, eyes, hanging down thingy and legs. I cannot paint if my life depended upon it and ironically, I painted those finishing touches, but it seriously looks like the kids did it. So…. if I can do it, then you most certainly can 🙂
- Then it is ready to wear and enjoy!
Five fun, festive, memorable Thanksgiving T-Shirts for $18.44 from start to finish! After Thanksgiving, I will wash them and then stick them in their memory bins with all of their past Thanksgiving crafts!
What ideas for kids have you done!
See even more Thanksgiving ideas, tips, recipes and savings on our Thanksgiving Page HERE.