Do you use vinegar in your home for many household uses? Well, you really should! There are hundreds, if not thousands of benefits to using vinegar either indoors or outdoors. I know it has an icky smell, but for some reason, this icky smelling natural liquid is a wonder worker. It not only cleans, but it kills bad bacteria too. We have shared many homemade cleaning product recipes on our site, some of which use vinegar.
Well, today I want to talk about one of my favorite places to use vinegar….. in the laundry room!
Have you ever thought about using white vinegar in your laundry? The first time I had was several years ago and I haven’t looked back since! Vinegar is just a part of our laundry routine.
Let me first answer the obvious question…. won’t your laundry smell like stinky feet? Well….. that’s the weird part about it…. No. It actually leaves no “stinky feet” odor, but actually eliminates odors. So no need to worry about stinky laundry…. but in fact, quite the opposite!
So now let’s count the ways that vinegar and your laundry go together like peanut butter and jelly:
1. Fluff up your fabrics and towels. They will start to become fluffy and soft again! We notice this difference in our towels the most, but we also see it in all of the fabrics washed!
2. Reduce odors! Not only does the vinegar “fluff” the towels, it actually takes smells out too! The stinky towels, sports clothes, boys clothes, all of it! Get rid of those odors naturally and gently!
3. Kills bacteria on your clothing, towels, bedding, etc.
4. Use as as an alternative to Fabric Softener (we show 4 ways in our previous post HERE).
5. Reduce static. Vinegar will not only soften clothes, but reduces some of the static as well.
6. Greater clothing life! Your clothes and towels will last longer as vinegar is more gentle than commercial fabric softeners and does not break down the threads as quickly.
7. Perfect for sensitive skin! Unlike commercial products which can irritate skin, using vinegar instead is much better for your skin!
8. Reduces allergies! Because it naturally kills without chemicals or scents, you will have less sneezing fits!
9. Prevent and reduce colors bleeding. It acts as a natural “color catcher” in which if you had to wash colors together, it will help in preventing the bleeding of colors onto other fabrics. Now I know many,many that swear by this tip….. but I am so cheap that I haven’t tested it and am a Laundry freak about not mixing colors as I don’t want to ruin or replace. I haven’t even used the commercial Shout color catcher…. but I have testimonies from many that this is that same thing, but does it naturally and cheaply!
10. Cleaner Washing Machine. Finally, keep the odors and bacteria in your washer away. This will occur naturally when you are using it for your laundry! Double duty!
Recommended usage: 1/2 cup of vinegar in a full load and a 1/4 cup in a smaller load. You just pour it in at the beginning in the fabric softener slot or during your rinse cycle when you would normally put in your liquid fabric softener. We have found this to be immensely beneficial to our laundry and to our budget! And it is a natural alternative!
Disclaimer: As with all homemade solutions, remember to always test a small hidden area first.