We quickly stopped by Walmart to grab a few items yesterday. It really was supposed to be a quick trip as we intended to be in and out in about 20 minutes. The actual shopping was quite swift…however, I had the weirdest checkout I have ever had and a literal first-time experience that REALLY SLOWED my “quick trip” down!
But before I have my little checkout rant…. here are the results of the shopping trip!
- 1 bag of tortilla chips sale for $1.78 = final is $1.78
- 2.5 lbs of bananas for .52 each lb = final is $1.30
- 18 eggs sale for sale for $2.83 = final is $2.83
- 2 Hershey’s chocolate for .74 each = $1.48. Then used BOGO FREE coupon from the 8/28 Smart Source insert -.74 = final is .74 for two or .37 each
- 2 Bags of Earthbound Farms organic carrots sale for .98 each = $1.96. Then used two $1.00/1 printable coupon – $2 = final is FREE with .04 OVERAGE
- 1 Revlon tweezers sale for $2.24. Then used $1.00/1 from the 8/28 Smart Source insert -1 = final is $1.24
- 1 Tyson Chicken Tenders sale for $4.98. Then used $1.00/1 from the 8/21 Smart Source Insert – $1 = final is $3.98
- 1 Gain fabric softener sheets sale for $1.87. Then used .50/1 8/14 Red Plum Insert -.50 = final is $1.37
- 2 Athenos Feta cheese sale for $2.98 each = $5.96. Then used BOGO printable coupon – $2.98 = final is $2.98 for two or $1.49 each
- 3 Renuzit Neutralizer cones sale for .94 each = $2.82. Then used three $1.00/1 printable coupons – $3 = final is FREE with .18 OVERAGE
- 4 Cascade trial size sale for .97 each = $3.88. Then used four $1.00/1 8/28 PG Insert – $4 = final is FREE with .12 OVERAGE
- 1 Sara Lee Whole Wheat bread sale for $1.98. Then used .55/1 from the 8/14 Red Plum Insert – .55 = final is $1.43
- 2 Alexia Red Potatoes family size (with garlic and parmesan… yum!) sale for $2.78 each = $5.56. Then used two $1.00/1 printable coupon – $2 = final is $3.56 for two or $1.78 each
Summary: The total before coupons was $38.64. We then used $17.77 in coupons, which made our final total $20.87. This is a savings of 46% off Walmart everyday low prices just with using coupons!
So here is what happened – I really didn’t have that many items and scanning was very quick (I was also in a semi-hurry, which is why there wasn’t that many things). I then handed the cashier my coupons…….
She literally read all the details of each coupon and then fished through the bags for each item. She then pulled it out, checked it and THEN scanned it (each coupon went through with NO problems as I was not using the coupons in any unwarranted way). It took me over 15 minutes to checkout! I have NEVER experienced anything like this. In all of our years of couponing, they always just scan the coupon and if there is a question, then they ask/research. I am not sure if this is something new per Walmart’s policy or backlash from the TLC Extreme Couponing show.
I wanted to ask the lady if she did not trust me because I felt like a criminal for using coupons in those 15 minutes, because they way she was researching each item/coupon made me feel like I was trying to pull a fast one on her. Even on the coupons where they was an overage, I thought she was going to give me gruff, but after she read the coupon, found the items, re-read the coupon – her response was Hmm (because it was a valid coupon/item pair)… then scanned the coupon and went through. I was thinking the first few coupons she did this with “surely since none of them have given her problems, she isn’t going to do this for EVERY coupon!” But she kept on doing the same thing. The line started short, but by the time she was done, it was a very long line with very frustrated patrons.
I did not say anything. I wanted to be careful to not take this out on her because perhaps this was a new Walmart policy. I just stood there while she read, searched for the item, compared each item to each coupon and THEN scanned (again with no coupon having issues!). I was also feeling embarrassed to all of those standing in line. It really was not a pleasant experience. I should have asked why she was doing what she was doing, but honestly, I just wanted it to be over as quickly as possible!
All of this to state that next time you shop at Walmart, be sure to have the Walmart coupon policy printed out and with you, because I did not have it at that time and I was worried I was going to need it. Although it was super long, I felt like a criminal until it was over. In the end, she couldn’t fault me for anything. I paid and walked out with my head low……
I would consider myself a seasoned couponer. But that experience, if I was a newbie, it probably would have turned me off to couponing. We are curious if anyone else is experiencing these types of checkouts at Walmart?