It is time to share another favorite frugal recipe of ours with you today! Our goal with sharing these recipes is to show you recipes that we come up with combing the sale and markdown perishables we get each week along with the stock-pile foods (like pasta and tuna – two very common and very cheap pantry items!) we have in our pantry!
This week, we got onions and baby portobello mushrooms on markdown as well as sour cream on sale this week! With these three ingredients, we wanted to put together a casserole for a one dish dinner to please the tummies and taste-buds as well as please our thrifty budget! So we made Tuna Mushroom Casserole with Sour Cream sauce. It turned out to be extremely tasty and everyone loved it! It is a keeper and new addition to our recipe collection!
First, here are the ingredients needed:
- 1.5 packages Cooked and drained pasta (we used Penne)
- 1 16 oz. tub of sour cream
- 2 small cans or pouches of tuna drained and rinsed
- 1 16oz. bag of frozen peas
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- Bread Crumbs (I didn’t measure this out, just sprinkled our desired amount on top).
- Garlic of some sort (either salt, powder or minced, whatever you have!)
- Cook and drain the pasta (we recommend some tips HERE to cook healthier pasta)
- Saute the onions with olive oil and salt, pepper and your form of garlic to make them caramelized in color
- Add mushrooms to the onion mixture and saute until soft.
- In a separate bowl, combine the frozen peas and the onion/mushroom mixture.
- Add the tub of sour cream and mix until blended.
- Then add the pasta.
- Finally add the drained and rinsed tuna and mix until well blended.
- Pour mixture into your casserole dish.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until thoroughly hot.
- Serve warm!
We figured this dish to be one of the most affordable dishes and rings in at under $5 for a large family size 11×14 pan as we have stock-pile of incredibly cheap pasta and tuna. The most expensive part were the mushrooms, but we wait for markdowns to make this even cheaper! Plus, it makes for great left overs for lunch the next day while at work to avoid eating out!
See more of our Recipes to save even more money for a healthier budget and to live healthier lives too!