What if you could take a dollar, stretch it to five and give to a local food bank? What if without money but your time you could offer a women’s shelter the supplies they need and request on a regular basis? What would you think if you could purchase some diapers cheap and give them to your local pregnancy crisis center? How much impact would we all have if we all pledged to do a little but in the end could do a lot?
This is the heart of what we refer to as thrifty giving – or the ability to take something small, something that we would consider insignificant and through wise stewardship and working together we could in some larger way affect the lives of others in an impactful and meaningful way.
We have always felt that one way as The Thrifty Couple we could cause the most impact was by providing you the tools and resources to give the most you can by maximizing your buying potential. If you remember last holiday season, we encouraged many of you to do this exact thing with your local food bank and Angel Tree. We have mentioned other opportunities where you could help provide free photo books for the troops or even help donate diapers one click at a time. We want to take the next step and give you more – the tools and resources to continue this year round!
When we are wise stewards of what we have been given, all the sudden we can give more. When we all come together, respond to the challenge and pledge to give united (even through your charity of choice) we can make drastic changes to those who need our help.
Overview of the Challenge
In the months of August through October we will be running a challenge – our goal is to get as many that would love to participate to pledge what small way you can help in your community with the goal to grow that small investment into more. What do I mean? Here are some examples to help you out:
- Stretch a buck for the food bank – Last holiday season we pledged to you that we would stretch $20 each week as far as we could to help our local food bank. During this challenge we pledge to you to provide you the tools and resources to maximize those deals and each week buy very cheap or even FREE items that you can turn around and give to your local food bank. Whether you pledge $20 or even $1, our goal is to help us all maximize what we can give!
- Samples for a local woman’s shelter – We have a local shelter that houses battered and abused women trying to rebuild their lives. Our local shelter loves any donations for these women including toiletries, makeup, and a number of other items we consider small but they value more than you could imagine. Possibly you would like to donate your time by spending a few extra minutes on the computer each week to sign up for samples or free products that you can turn around and give to your local shelter – for the simple price of FREE!
- Provide pet food for a local animal shelter – Recently we have posted some amazing deals (including FREE) on dog and cat food. What if you were able to commit to buying or picking up your free food to then donate to your local animal shelter? Sounds like a thrifty way to maximize your giving – and you may not even own a dog or cat!
- Purchase cheap diapers for your local pregnancy crisis/care center – Not only do these centers help women through pregnancies, many often help these new mothers to provide for their new addition. Instead of buying retail price diapers, consider using our list on the best deals on diapers to maximize your giving. Giving twice the diapers (or more?) than you could for the same retail price will make your gift go that much further!
- And many more – The list abounds, whether you are preparing to donate money or items to your local charity, consider doing it the thrifty way and stretching your giving!
Each month we pledge to you:
We will give you the tools necessary to maximize your giving
Keep following our site daily to find out how you can maximize your giving. Each week we will post the best of the best – deals that are so hot that your giving will be maximized. You will see free items that don’t require purchase. All of this we promise and dedicate to you so you can truly take what you set aside and give the most from it. In addition, we promise to post samples as well so you can sign up for them and collect them to give to your local women’s shelter. You name it, we will try our best to give you whatever resource we can to help you! Be watching for specially marked posts to help you identify the most relevant and hot deals to help you with this challenge.
We will help keep you accountable
How are we going to do this? In the most fun way we can – through a giveaway! Yes, we will offer each month a new giveaway and give you three ways to enter.
- You first enter by pledging to be part of the challenge.
- You get another entry by telling us how each week of the challenge has gone.
- You get one last entry for sharing your story and any pictures you may have of it with us!
What this does is allow you a single place to track your progress and help you and your family to get excited – knowing that you could in turn win a fun giveaway to make this even more exciting and fun while you are helping those that are in need!
We will keep you updated with our status and yours
We would love to share with you our progress over the next three months. But most of all, we would love to share yours! When you send us your story and your pictures, just tell us if we can share with everyone. Our goal is to see others encouraged and to know that yes, even our small portion is part of a much larger whole!
Will you join us?
We would love for you to join us in this giving challenge – we start on August 1st! Be watching for our first post and know that you can join us at any time. We hope and pray that the lives blessed by our thrifty giving will be even more affected than if we had just given the original gift.
Thrifty-size your gift and watch it grow into more than you could imagine.