The Thrifty Couple is in the kitchen again. This time it is a Thrifty Couple recipe invention (although this is something we made up – we are sure it is not a unique idea ;)).
This recipe is for Beef and Potato Enchilada Casserole – it is easy, fun and yummy and very thrifty!
The ingredients needed for this fun family favorite is:
- 1 lb. Hamburger (you can also use shredded beef, chicken or pork)
- 1 family size can of Enchilada sauce
- 1/2 med onion (diced)
- 1 small can of Green Chilies (diced)
- 2 lbs. shredded cheese
- 1 package of Simply Potatoes any variety (for this one – we used the diced potatoes and onions)
- 12 – 18 Corn tortillas
- Sour Cream
Here are the easy steps to get this dish on the table fast:
- Brown the hamburger, drain and rinse and put back in the pan
- Then sautee’ the onions and the simply potatoes with the ground hamburger until the potatoes are slightly under al dente’
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Layer the pan with 4-6 corn tortillas as the first layer
- Then add a layer of the hamburger, onion and potatoes
- Pour half of the can of enchilada sauce over the meat mixture
- Add half of the diced chilies and then a layer of cheese
- Repeat the layering from the corn tortillas to the cheese again
- For the final layer, add corn tortillas, then the remaining cheeese
- Top the casserole with the diced green onions
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes
We like to serve this dish topped with sour cream. We also like to serve with a side of veggies (like corn with diced sweet bell peppers), fruit and a green salad. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!