It’s that time of year again, when most of us take a few moments to think about ways we can improve ourselves or finally achieve those things we’ve put on the back burner. It’s certainly great to set these lofty goals, but the reality is that most people don’t want to break the bank doing it, especially after the excess of spending over the holidays. At LocalSaver, we put together a list to help people save hundreds of dollars in some surprising places on the most common New Year’s Resolutions for 2016. But the trick is to look for discounts before you set off to achieve your goals!
Here’s how you can improve yourself while pursuing the five most popular resolutions and keep more money in your wallet at the same time:
1. Enjoy life to the fullest – Almost half of survey respondents said they want to get even more out of life in 2016. For most, this means taking a little more “me” time to pursue the activities they love the most or perhaps even trying something new. The New Year is a great time to find online coupons for huge discounts a wide range of recreation activities. For example, right now, consumers can find coupons that offer 50% off all types of recreation packages including scuba diving, paddle boarding, horseback riding, bike rentals and a four-hour fishing excursion for $99 (valued at $190), for example. In addition, online coupons offer major savings on classes if you want to learn a new skill as photography, Italian cooking, painting or even karate.
2. Live a healthier lifestyle – It’s no surprise to see living a cleaner life on the list of resolutions again, as this marks the time when we often commit to becoming more active. Most gyms have amazing deals to new members in January – such as Gold’s gym offering a one month membership and one hour personal trainer for just $19! But there are so many other great online coupons, too, for discounts of 50% on Pilates, yoga, spin and kickboxing classes that are right in your local neighborhood.
3. Lose weight – Shedding a few pounds is another popular resolution every year as many of us feel that we’ve indulged too much over the holidays. This is the time to search for the best discount before you purchase a weight loss program. A quick online search can reveal discounts on weight loss programs such as a four-week program valued at $411 for just $79 (in Kirkland, WA). In addition, many local nutritional services business, lean meal delivery services and even liposuction clinics will offer great deals to help you lose those pounds at this time of year.
4. Save more and spend less – As things seem to get more expensive every year, many people want to keep more money for themselves, but they might need some guidance doing it. You may not realize that there are online discounts for financial services such as accountants, personal financial planners and mortgage brokers. It’s also a great time to get yourself acquainted with various coupon sites such as LocalSaver and Groupon to find the best deals as you shop for all types of goods and services throughout the year.
5. Spend more time with family and friends – Spending more time with family and friends often means spending less time with the routine of your daily life. The New Year brings with it discounts of up to 50% on housecleaning (a two-hour cleaning valued at $150 for just $79 at Taylor Maid Service in Austin, TX) for your home. In addition, you can find online discounts in your area for newer services such as organizational consultants who will ensure your life (and home) runs more smoothly and personal assistants who can get those mundane chores and errands done on your behalf.
Gary is a senior vice president at DataSphere which operates LocalSaver (www.localsaver.com) a marketplace offering consumers the largest range of local coupons and other savings opportunities.