Alright, it is my turn to give you a Daily Dose of Thrifty. I am going to talk about my favorite subject, wearing nylons – NOT!
Nylons and pantyhose really are a pain. But one thing I despise more than wearing them is throwing them out so soon!
I have gotten them free, cheap or on sale – but no matter the quality, type or how much or little I pay, I want the darn things to last a little longer.
Here are a few tricks and tips that I know of to help the life of that nemesis:
- Before you wear them for the first time, stick them in the freezer for a day or two. Freezing strengthens the fibers and makes them more resistant to snags. I have even heard of others that lightly wash them and then freeze them wet in a ziploc or dry towel for a day or two. Then let them thaw. Both ways seem to work on extending the life two to three times longer.
- Don’t wear your wedding ring or other rings when you are initially putting them on – they will catch and snag
- Make sure you don’t have hang nails or rough edges on your finger or toe nails as they will easily snag and create a run
- Put on lotion or moisturizer to soften your skin/feet and rough heels
- Give a light spray of hairspray over the nylons after you have put them on
- Catch the hidden runs immediately with a dab of nail polish at the beginning/end of the run to prevent it running further into the visible areas
- Hand wash them, wring them in a towel and lay flat to finish drying
- You could even store them in a ziploc or other container in your drawer to prevent other clothes zippers, snaps, straps, etc. from your other clothing/lingerie from grabbing and snagging
Hopefully today’s daily dose helps save a few bucks. How do you preserve the life of your nylons/pantyhose?