We love to do crafts at our home! We have a household of creative kiddos (not mommy – that is what the internet is for!).
I know it is December 2 already, but it is not too late to get something fun started to countdown to Christmas. These ideas are to be able to throw them together quick and in just a few minutes so that you can do it in the next day or two!
There are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of advent calendar ideas. But today we are going to share some really easy ones, and ones that you can make with items you have most likely have on hand! Keep your littles busy this week as you prepare!
Here’s a handful of last minute ideas:
Photo from: txgranolamom.blogspot.com
1. Paper Advent Chain. Easy, quick, and simple – but yet really fun! This also can become a decoration as it “shrinks”! We have made this super easy one. If you don’t have construction paper, honestly, any paper will do, including wrapping paper, recycled coloring sheets (makes for a unique design), and even plain white copy paper that they decorate beforehand! Also, little messages, numbers or even what this mom did, an advent prayer chain are some fun ways to make this unique if this is the type you like to do each year!
- Just start with 25 strips of colored construction paper. We have used red and green, alternating between the 2. The kids can even color or decorate the strips! You can also put fun little notes on each strip to read each day!
- Make the first loop by attaching with staples, tape or glue.
- Loop each additional strip around the previous one to create a “chain.”
- Once you have 25 loops chained together, you’re done!
- Cut a strip off each day in December and when they are all gone, Christmas is here!
2. Cut & Treat Strip: each day a strip is cut off and a special treat is found! You can use suckers, candy, trinkets or any other kinds of treat. This is the one we did this year!
- Start with a FREE Christmas printable page for the kids to color. Go HERE for some choices!
- Cut out the picture from the coloring page
- Cut a strip of wrapping paper that is about 4″ wide and the length of the roll of wrapping paper.
- Count out and place 25 suckers in a row on the backside of the wrapping paper strip.
- Use tape to secure the suckers to the wrapping paper by sticking one long strand down the center of the wrapping paper.
- Tape the ends and side of the wrapping paper.
- Tape the cut out picture at the top for a personalized touch for each child.
- Each day, cut off a strip holding a sucker and enjoy!
- When each sucker is cut off – Christmas is here!
3. The Santa Cotton Ball Beard Countdown.
Photo from: KidsKreate.blogspot.com
This one is quite easy and effortless! Each day, just have the kids glue a cotton ball on each day as it passes to fill Santa’s beard! The printable template is HERE.
4. Decorate the Tree Countdown. Each day, cut out an ornament and glue onto the coordinating day to decorate the tree! The downloads are HERE.
5. Countdown coloring sheet! It doesn’t get much simpler than this! Just print this off and have the kids color an ornament on the tree each day! Download this coloring sheet HERE.