A couple of months ago, we tried out the Sam’s Club Scan and Go app. I was challenged to try it, but didn’t necessarily think much about it beyond thinking it was cool advancing technology.
However, since the first time I have used it, I have fallen in love and wish I could do all of my shopping this way. It is like the sliced bread of grocery shopping!
What is the Sam’s Club Shop and Go App?
In the most simplest terms, it is a free app that allows you to scan your products with your phone, add them to a virtual cart, and track the total along the way – all available in any U.S. Sam’s Club. You can additionally remove or add as much as you want, all with no fee at all to use this app. Once you are finished shopping, simply pay with your app and walk out the door. Instead of a receipt check, just show them your checkout screen that includes a barcode for them to scan.
Then you can leave.
So basically, you can avoid checkout entirely and make for a fast shopping trip. But that is not all! There are many reasons to use the scan and go app.
5 Reasons why I love the Sam’s Club Scan and Go App
- It’s fun – Let’s be honest. In our day and age of advancing technology, we all just want a bit of fun in our lives, especially as it relates to shopping, and even more so, shopping at a warehouse. It is one of the least exciting shopping experiences, so this really makes for a fun trip, and a trip that keeps the kids busy as they can scan the items!
- A mom can keep her sanity – Between allowing the older kids to scan the products, the babies and toddlers are a bit happier too. In our family, the “breakdown” moment is typically in the lines at checkout. They just lose it! As a mom, you are “so close” to being done, that you don’t want to abandon ship for the final stretch. But if I am shopping and my baby or toddler loses their mind in 2-seconds flat, I can take off with the stuff I already have, checkout on the app in 2-seconds and walk out and not have to abandon anything, keeping the peace for everyone! This is my second favorite reason for using this app! Case in point from the first time I used this app and just needed diapers quick:
- It’s free and available at all clubs in the US – Plain and simple. There is absolutely no fee to use this service and this app.
- It’s convenient – I have not been in a Sam’s Club line since I started using this. The long lines were some of my least favorite parts about shopping at a warehouse. I can just scan the item as I am putting them in the cart and not touch the items again until I go to my van.
- It’s an amazing tool for any budget – This is my #1 reason for using this app. I have admitted that shopping at Sam’s Club or Costco can be costly and risky for a tight grocery budget. The intent is to save money, but often, so many leave spending way more than they intended. It’s a combination of both the “great” deals they have for a time, plus the seasonal foods, stuff, books, etc. You try to keep track of the cost in your head, perhaps a calculator, but it’s still easy to be excessive. It really is very easy to go over budget. But, the scan and go app brings things back to reality. As you scan, you can see your total bill, including taxes. You can add and subtract things as you need to. AMAZING. If I go into Sam’s Club with a certain intended budget, it’s not longer a mystery when I arrive at the checkout as to whether I am in budget. It will automatically apply the coupons and discounts and I know exactly what I am paying as I put the items in my cart. This has forcibly changed my shopping attitude and experience inside Sam’s Club. I am so happy to be taking advantage of the deals, but not go over budget once and for all!
How to start using the Sam’s Club Scan and Go App
All you have to do is search for the Sam’s Club Scan and Go App for Apple or Android and download. The first time you use it, you will need to be able to enter your Sam’s Club member number and your payment information. This takes about 5 minutes. So once you set this up the first time, you will not have to do it again.
From that point forward, simply open the app and start shopping, and then virtually checkout and go!
Now I just wish Costco, and even other stores would have something similar. It would make all of our lives and budgets easier!
Have you tried this app?