Well, it is that time after Christmas in which some of the largest shopping days of the year occur! Retailers enjoyed your shopping before Christmas and now they want to enjoy it some more!
But the good news is that there are big benefits to you if you plan your shopping just right and have a specific plan and idea of what you are doing. These times after Christmas have contributed to future Christmas decorating fun and filled our gift bin for affordable, nice gifts all year round and may other great opportunities to save some good money…..
But, it is important to have a plan, just like we highly encourage for the before Christmas shopping season as things can get out of hand very quickly!
It is also important to know that there are great and good deals but then other items that are not really a good deal at all.
Plus, it is important to know when to shop for the best deals.
That’s the information that we hope to provide in this post to help propel into the new year with great savings throughout.
Here’s the approximate mark-down schedule for the next few weeks of mark-down shopping:
The first things we want to share is the approximate markdown schedule. Note that each store will be a little different, but as a general rule for stores across the board, here’s the schedule of markdowns that will occur nationwide from national to local stores.
- December 26th – December 31st: Most national (and some local) stores will offer a 50% off Christmas clearance. This will be mostly on seasonal items, but sometimes everyday/gift ideas as well! You will often find that local shops will start even lower in the 20-40% range.
- January 1st – January 7th: Most national stores will start markdowns at 75% off. Many local shops will start a 40- 50% off markdown.
- Starting January 8th and until gone: Most national stores will start markdowns at 90% off. Local shops tend to finish at around 75% off.
Now obviously – the earlier in the markdowns that you shop, the better selection you will get! Personally, we find that the second week after Christmas where items are 75% off at most national stores is a perfect time for us as it is a nice discount and the selection is still decent!
We also wanted to note that most local and small businesses and stores in your area will start with a smaller markdown and slowly move up each week. We often see them start at 25% off and move by 5% or 10% increments from there. The local shops discounts will vary quite greatly based on how large and local that store is.
Here’s a list of the BEST things to get during the end-of-the-year and after Christmas clearances:
Now we want to share the items you should consider during this discount shopping time! You may find other deals as well, but as a general rule, these are the items that are going to save you the big bucks!
- This is the BEST time to get your Christmas decorations, lights and more, essentially anything at all that is Christmas themed. We generally don’t buy any Christmas decorations before, but wait until these time periods! Then next year it is like Christmas twice when we also pull out the new stuff at the beginning of the season! Last year, we got all new teal decor for our white christmas tree (a previous year’s clearance) and totally changed the decor from mauve and gold that we had been doing in our living room to this beautiful teal decor! It was so gorgeous this year and every single bit of it was purchased during the after Christmas clearance for 75%+ off!
- This is also a great time for cold-weather accessories and wear for the whole family as you are still in the heart of the winter season. In fact, our winter season started Christmas day with our first snowfall of the year. So we literally just started our winter season. We often find this a great time to grab winter wear for our family! I happen to maximize Kohl’s Black Friday sales online which is also another great time to have nab the winter clothing deals. But this is often the second best time and the prices will continue to fall on these items until Spring, in which anything left over will be at rock bottom prices.
- This is also a FANTASTIC time to buy the gift sets that range for foodie options to personal care. Even if you do not still have someone on your list this year, most of it will last until next year, especially the non-food items. This is also even a good way to buy personal care for yourself as it is the same products sold on the shelf individually, but you can get them for much cheaper when they are in the gift sets and just break them apart for personal use. In addition, consider grabbing these for future birthday’s and other possible gift needs throughout the year. Some have seasonal packaging, some don’t. Those that do have seasonal packaging can be repacked into a birthday gift basket or Mother’s day or something.
- Christmas Candy! Just like the first point, we will add this as an additional item because Christmas candy will be going very cheap! Now I am not focusing too much on this as I don’t want anymore to enter my home mostly for Alex and me to not have to fight temptation, but it is a good time for this too. 🙂
- Finally and separate from the Foodie Gift Sets, are the themed holiday and Christmas foods like crackers, cereals, cake mixes, cookie mixes, holiday packaged pastas, etc. Many brands make special holiday packages or shapes for the holiday season, but it is the same exact food from that company as normal. The best news, you can use coupons with those prices on those foods too. So this can be a nice way to pick up grocery items for even less to fill-up your pantry. Be sure to find printable coupons HERE because the coupons are for popular name-brand foods, which are the same companies that make the seasonal foods! It’s a win-win this time of year!
- The most popular brands that make special holiday packages to find coupons for are:
- General Mills, Kellogg’s and Post cereals
- Yoplait and Dannon yogurt
- Pillsbury products (especially the cookies mixes and premade)
- Kraft Mac and Cheese and other type Kraft products
- Kellogg’s and General Mills fruit snacks
- Pepperidge Farms cookies and goldfish
- Keebler and Nabisco crackers (especially Club and Ritz as they commonly have holiday themed boxes)
- There is probably a lot more, but those are the foods and brands that come to mind that commonly make holiday/Christmas themed foods each year that go on clearance after Christmas.
Here are a few tips for after-Christmas shopping:
- Most of the deals are also offered online at each store’s websites for non-food items.
- Also, note the return policy because you might find the same items at another store even cheaper during this time, or you may get the item home and realize that you do not want/need that item. So to avoid buyer’s remorse, know the return policy as they are varied for different retailers when it comes to their end of the year/after Christmas markdowns.
- KEEP all receipts somewhere together (tape them to the box where you store it) to easily locate them in case you do decide to return the items. In most cases, you will be able to return your markdown items, but if you do not have a receipt, they will only honor the lowest marked price that this item has been. If you do not have the receipt this is a big hit to your budget when you return something. Also, without a receipt, not only will you get the lowest price it has been, but you will most likely only receive store credit, which may also put a damper on your budget and shopping.
- If you are returning items, it is is just a different size or color of the exact same item, then you should be able to safely make a straight across exchange without losing the value of the item and potentially no receipt needed. This option does vary greatly in terms of the policies at each store, but it is generally a safer return as you will not lose the value that was paid for the item.
- If you are retail shopping in-store or online, use your gift cards and maximize them with retail coupons. To help you find coupons that are good right now, be sure to visit our Online Retail Coupon Codes Database HERE for hundreds of online retailers to save even more online and in-store, especially for the upcoming huge sales! You can just simply do a quick search for your retail store and then the coupons and coupon codes will pop up along with special sales!
Finally, go in with a plan so that you do not overspend. Please do not go into debt to grab the deals as ultimately this is not a deal if you end up doing this. Between the interest you pay, the effects on your credit and the emotional taxing down the road that you will experience is not worth the discount!
Have fun out there!