We are sharing many of our homemade personal care products that are safer, natural, homemade and more frugal than store-bought versions.
Well, since many are complaining about mosquitos, we thought it was time to share our personal mosquito repellent recipes with you!
We make both a spray and a rub as each likes a certain type of application. They are both easy to make and both effective in repelling mosquitos when outside, camping, hiking and around those little pests!
Just like our homemade cleaning products, we use essential oils as the “secret” ingredient to take them to the next level of effectiveness.
You can read about the 7 best essential oils for cleaning HERE, but here’s the best oils for repelling mosquitos as they HATE these smells!
- Citronella – DUH…. right 😉
Essential oils last FOREVER with approximately 300 drops of oil per 15 ml. I use citronella for many household uses for repelling mosquitos and other pests in other homemade recipes and I get it from Vitacost ($10 off coupon details HERE).
I do want to mention that Lemon is a good addition, and in fact lemon is a GREAT essential oil to have around for many uses – including these 17 Helpful Household Uses for Lemon Essential oils HERE. So it is a great way to have around…..however, lemon oil is not safe to use if you are going to be in the sun. The strong citrus is best for so many things, but not for the combo of skin and sun. However, you can omit it from this recipe if you are going to be using it while in the sun.
I also want to mention that I make 2 oz. at a time as this will be used before it goes bad (usually 6months, but it will last a lot longer if stored in a dark container and in a cool space). Also the 2 oz. size is great for packing in a backpack, diaper bag, purse, etc.
Here’s how to make the spray:
- 1.5 TBSP Witch Hazel
- 1.5 TBSP water or vegetable glycerin
- 10-15 drops oil (usually 3-5 drops of each of the above oils – just a total of 10-15 drops. The higher the amount, the better the repellent, so it depends on how much of a problem they are where you are headed or live.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small spray bottle (using a funnel for the witch hazel and water) and put the lid on and shake it up!
- Then to use, just spray on yourself or others like any other mosquito repellent. Be careful with clothing.
Here’s how to make the rub-on version:
- 1.5 TBSP Witch Hazel or vegetable glycerin
- 1.5 TBSP Body Oil or Jojoba Oil
- 10-15 drops oil (see explanation above)
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small bottle (using a funnel for the witch hazel and oil) and put the lid on and shake it up!
- Then to use, place your palm over the bottle and tip upside down and then upright before removing your palm from the top. Then rub into your skin where you need it!
If you have sensitive skin, your face may be sensitive to these oils.
Well, that is the “secret” essential oil recipe for repelling those pesky pests! Enjoy a life less bitten. 😉