Have you ever had a challenge like this where you are committed to vacuuming all of your rugs and carpets in your home for 30 days straight? I know it sounds like a boring, monotonous task, but seriously consider it.
I bring it up because I have personally challenged myself to this task several times in my married life and I have LOVED the results of doing this! Admittedly, it has been a while since I have done this. I usually vacuum a few times a week and as needed. But it isn’t always each room and certainly not the carpeted stairs.
So you may be wondering why this is such a big deal to me and why I want to introduce this idea to you and see if you want to join me the next 30-days in this challenge?
Here’s those 6 Reasons
- Reduce allergies – this was actually one of the biggest reasons I started doing this a while ago. We have environmental allergies to many things: grasses, trees, dust and much more. Our allergy doctor suggested that we vacuum all of our carpets everyday for one month to suck out as much allergens as possible.
And so that is the first reason and after I did this the first time, I realized there were several other reasons too:
- Your carpets last longer – when dirt and debris get into your carpet, it breaks it down. The more dirt and debris in the carpets, the faster it will break down. So suck it all up everyday and everyday, your carpets should be a little less dirty than the day before.
- Reduce bacteria and fungus – carpets are gross. That is why most of the pictures of my house you see on our blog are of hard pergo flooring. I have never liked carpets as they are a breeding ground for everything. But we do have our whole upstairs carpeted (except the bathrooms) and our stairs are as well. So much like the dirt and debris that can pile up, some can carry some bacteria and fungus that you want to reduce to avoid sickness and have healthier air!
- This forces a pick up of your home everyday! It forces you to pick up and put things away for 30 days. This alone is a great challenge for many reasons, but at the very least, it means a clean house for 30-days.
- Helps your home smell better – when your carpets are not harvesting as much bacteria and fungus, the smell creators, your home will naturally smell fresher.
- Finally, it creates a “clean” habit. You know the old adage, if you do something for 30 days, it becomes a habit. Well, we aren’t suggesting doing this for 30-days to continue vacuuming everyday for life, but rather, get you into the habit of “clean,” whatever that means for your home!
Many of these have benefits that just need that boost a few times a year and then you can go back to your routine vacuuming for maintenance! I am also choosing to do this now as part of my Spring Cleaning.
Here’s some tips to maximize your vacuuming challenge:
- Use our Homemade Carpet Deodorizing recipe HERE to help pull the odors out of your carpets. Not everyday, but perhaps a couple of times during this challenge!
- Make your vacuum smell pleasant with natural ingredients and make a pleasant aroma around your home by adding essential oils HERE or vanilla extract HERE on a cotton ball to the bag (you will need to do this about every 4th-5th vacuuming session to keep working).
- Or, make the vacuum smell pleasant for 12-Weeks by adding 1/3 cup of Downy Unstoppables HERE to your bag, or a handful of them for a bag less vacuum each time you dump it.
- Finally, give your vacuum a cleaning and dusting using homemade natural antibacterial cleaning wipes (recipe HERE) with a good ol’ wipe down!
So will you join us in this 30-day challenge for this month?
The only rule is to vacuum every rug and carpet area everyday for 30-days! I also include edging as it is a big dust trap, but you can decide if you want to add that!
I really think you will LOVE the results as well!