As a reminder, the 30 Be Intentional baby steps are designed to get you on the right foot, the right track and give you energy, efficiency and organization which will propel you into a life that is able to develop an overall financially smart, happy and frugal home.
So we are on the last category – Frugality! And as we continue with each of these, we wanted to encourage you to make continued steps for frugality so that you can more freedom with your money.
Baby Step #27
Begin or Continue to Replace Store-bought Foods with Homemade Versions
Similar to baby step #26 regarding replacing store-bought versions of cleaning supplies, this one is dealing with food!
Again, it is another very easy frugal move to make is in the area of grocery savings. Replacing a number of your foods with a homemade version is not only more affordable, but often healthier too!
We will be continuing to share lots of frugal food replacement ideas, but here’s a bunch to get you started, but you will want to visit our Recipe Gallery HERE and click on the “Replace Grocery Store” tab since we are always adding new recipes and to see the full collection at this time:
- SOS mix which replaces canned and jarred creamed soups, gravies, sauces and cheese sauces. This also makes most all Homemade Hamburger Helper mixes with a much healthier version too! (These recipes are coming soon!)
- Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix (can make biscuits out of this too!)
- Homemade Bulk Muffin Mix to make any type of muffin or breakfast cake.
- Taco Seasoning
- Bulk Italian Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch mix
- Consider replacing cereals with bulk oats, bulk cereals and 9-grain bulk mixes.
- Purchase bulk rice and season yourself to replace boxed rice mixes. The money you will save in just a few short times of making this rice change can be used to purchase a rice cooker like this one that will allow you to add your seasonings and more at the time of cooking too!
We have many more replacement recipes coming too. Our list of frugal ideas to share with you is quite long and so I guess we will have many more things to share with you for years to come, including more frugal food replacements!
Start with one switch and add another switch every month or so and soon enough, you will have your pantry filled with your cheaper and healthier homemade versions and your bank account filled with more money!
One final thing….. we also have a Facebook Group where you can engage in discussions, receive encouragement and talk to others that are participating in the challenges too for more ideas! Head to the Be Intentional with The Thrifty Couple Facebook Page HERE and ask to join us there! You can also invite friends and spouses too!