Natural Homemade Mold and Mildew Remover Recipe

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy here.

finished-homemade-mold-mildew-remover-recipe

If you like this idea, please “Pin” it to Pinterest so that you don’t forget about it and can find it easily when you need it!

Join us for our Spring Cleaning Challenge to Organize and Clean for a Thrifty and Healthy Home!

We have had many of you asking about our Natural Homemade Mold and Mildew Remover recipe and so guess what??  That’s what we are sharing today as we continue to share our 26 recipes for Natural Homemade Cleaning Products for $12!

One thing I want to mention about fighting mold and mildew naturally is that patience is required.  Remember, you are not using harsh chemicals and so it is going to take a bit more patience and persistence, but the rewards of a healthier home and hardly any money spent makes it all worth it!

As a second note, by using any of our homemade cleaners like the All-Purpose, Heavy Duty, Glass/Stainless Steel Cleaner, etc. all of these contain ingredients that help prevent mold and mildew in the first place.  But it still happens.  We have a bathroom that has no ventilation (none installed in this one bathroom even though the others have them… and it is a newer house!) and so because of that, mold and mildew will be tempted to build and grow in this room.  But between the cleaners and this mold and mildew remover, we can keep it at bay.

There’s only 3 ingredients needed:

mold-mildew-homemade-remover-ing

  • 1 TBSP Baking Soda
  • 1 TBSP White Distilled Vinegar
  • 5-6 drops of Tea Tree (Melaleuca) Essential Oil

Here’s how to make it:

mold-mildew-remover-vinegar

Put the 1 TBSP of baking soda in a small bowl.  Then pour the 1 TBSP of vinegar into the baking soda.  A small reaction will happen, just stir it up until mixed.

oil-in-mold-mildew-remover

 

Then add your 5-6 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil and mix again.

finished-homemade-mold-mildew-romover

You will then have a thinner/medium thick paste.  I apply this directly to the mold/mildew by either scooping with the spoon or apply with an old cleaning toothbrush.  Let this sit for a few hours on top of the mold/mildew.  Then come back and use the toothbrush to scrub away.  You may need to repeat the above steps a couple of times, but it will most likely eventually be cleaned up!

I am not even going to estimate price as it is literally less than .10 each batch.

If you get any of the items on sale, it would be even less!

Here’s a printable recipe that you can put in your home binder:

Natural Homemade Mold and Mildew Remover Recipe
5.0 from 3 reviews
Print
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
A great, cheap and natural alternative to the harsh chemical cleaners that can do those tough mold and mildew removing jobs.
Ingredients
  • 1 TBSP Baking Soda
  • 1 TBSP White Distilled Vinegar
  • 5-6 drops of Tea Tree (Melaleuca) Essential Oil
Instructions
  1. Put the 1 TBSP of baking soda in a small bowl.  Then pour the 1 TBSP of vinegar into the baking soda.  A small reaction will happen, just stir it up until mixed.
  2. Then add your 5-6 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil and mix again.
  3. You will then have a thinner/medium thick paste.  I apply this directly to the mold/mildew by either scooping with the spoon or apply with an old cleaning toothbrush.  Let this sit for a few hours on top of the mold/mildew.  Then come back and use the toothbrush to scrub away.  You may need to repeat the above steps a couple of times, but it will most likely eventually be cleaned up!

We also HIGHLY recommend that you put this in your home binder along with many more things we will be sharing! See all of the information on this in our previous post HERE about Put Together Your Home Binder with Free Downloads.

Finally, use this new thrifty and healthy cleaning product as part of our Spring Cleaning Challenge.

If you want even more ideas too, be sure to visit these links!

Comments

  1. JJ says

    Borox is TOXIC for humans and pets. Lever leaves body, builds up. You said you clean your walls with it. Even getting it on your fingers while wipping the walls.

    • says

      Hi JJ,

      The confusion about Borax toxicity is a very, very common misconception/misunderstanding. I have been researching the safety of Borax for a while now. I hope to do a post soon on the safety of Borax. Borax is very safe, it is a mineral found in the ground naturally. It is as safe as salt or baking soda. All three of these are harmful in large quantities (as most anything would be) and so that is the only risk, but we are not even consuming it anyway like we would salt/baking soda – just cleaning with it. I think the confusion comes in with a product called Boric Acid. Many people think that this is a product derived from Boric Acid, but this is not the case at all. It is a totally separate product – however, Boric Acid is made by mixing the “safe” Borax with sulfuric acid, it then becomes very toxic and is even a pest killing agent in those products. The internet can be a confusing and inaccurate thing as people can just post whatever they want where ever they want. Some people may have skin sensitivities like they would to apply salt to their skin… so please wear gloves if that is the case. Also, Borax is a natural mineral, but it is not a consumable one, so certainly don’t eat it. If you do have further questions, you can visit the 20 Mule Team Borax FAQ page HERE: http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about/faq/

      Finally, be sure that you are purchasing Borax and not Boric Acid…. that would be bad and it does happen often.

      • says

        I agree with your understanding about how safe it actually is, and in the amounts you’re talking, it wouldn’t be too bad here, however I think he’s just referring to it being a general hazard if anything to pets and kids for example. But otherwise, yes, you need larger amounts of it. Thanks for sharing the tip though!

  2. Liz G says

    HOLY COW I can’t believe how well this works! Used a little on my grout as a test and it started working immediately. Smells prett good too, not like harsh chemical cleaner and easy easy to mix up.

  3. Lynnette says

    Love the recipe, but Tea Tree Essential Oil is toxic to pet birds and not so good for the other pets in the house. Vinegar fumes can be harmful for them (and hard on asthmatics) too. I use vinegar in lower amounts and baking soda but I add Lemon and Cinnamon Essential Oils. They are great disinfectant substitutes (I have asthma and I also live with Parrots, so that combo works for me).

  4. chrisfl says

    I cannot wait to try this on our under mount kitchen sink caulk. No commercial product has worked.
    Please reply on where to purchase inexpensive essential oils. Thank you!

  5. says

    Add 4 ounces of tri-sodium phosphate which is commonly known.
    Also get readings from places where chimneys, porches, garages, and patios attach to the house.
    Come to think of it, vinegar is specifically made for cooking
    and flavoring, not for molds.

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Rate this recipe: