Homemade Natural Jet Dry (Rinse Agent): 2 Ingredients, 5 Minutes and .30 Per Bottle

by Cassie

If you like this idea, please “Pin” it to Pinterest!

Join us for our Spring Cleaning Challenge to Organize and Clean for a Thrifty and Healthy Home!

Last week, I shared our Homemade Natural Dishwasher Detergent for only .05 per load, which is an awesome recipe. This is the perfect recipe after much testing and tweaking.  BUT…there was something still missing.  It was that perfect finish to the load! So I made up my own Jet Dry with 2 ingredients, less than 5 minutes to make and only .30 each Jet Dry bottle equivalent to end up with a finishing wash!

As a reminder, I use essential oils for many things, including cleaning. These are the “secret” ingredients to make these cleaners have their “antibacterial effect.”  Read up on the top oils for cleaning and how to get them cheap HERE!

Here’s the simple recipe and ingredients needed:

Step #1 – Add 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to a measuring cup.

Step#2 – Add your 10-15 drops of lemon or other essential oil to the Hydrogen Peroxide.

Step #3 – Pour into your rinse agent compartment of your dishwasher. I have to do this about every 30 days.

If you have any left over, I usually use it to clean my sinks and other spots in the kitchen.  Fill-up your sink with some hot soapy water (not very much as you don’t want it diluted a whole lot), maybe about 1″ deep. Then pour your remaining Jet Dry mixture into the sink.  Let it soak for a few minutes and then use a rag and shine up your sink, oven, microwave, counter tops, etc.!

Here’s the cost breakdown:

• 32 oz. bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for .88 – this will make 4 batches (or 4 months worth) = .22 each batch
  • Essential Oil around $6 a bottle which will last for a LONG time (ours has lasted forever) so we will estimate around $0.28 to be conservative?

TOTAL per batch = .30 per 8oz. bottle compared to $2.56 each 8oz. bottle at Walmart. And this is a natural option as well!

Here’s a printable recipe that you can put in your home binder:

Homemade Natural Jet Dry (Rinse Agent) and Only .30 Per Bottle
5.0 from 3 reviews
Recipe type: Homemade Cleaning Product
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
Here's the perfect partner to our homemade natural dishwasher detergent - a natural and effective rinse agent!
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 10-15 drops of lemon or lavender essential oil (or one of the other 5 from our hot cleaning essential oils list)
Instructions
  1. Measure 1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
  2. Add your 10-15 drops of Essential Oil
  3. Pour into your rinse agent compartment in your dishwasher (about every 30 days)
Notes
If you have any left over, I usually use it to clean my sinks and other spots in the kitchen. Fill-up your sink with some hot soapy water (not very much as you don't want it diluted a whole lot), maybe about 1" deep. Then pour your remaining Jet Dry mixture into the sink. Let it soak for a few minutes and then use a rag and shine up your sink, oven, microwave, counter tops, etc.! See more homemade, natural and frugal cleaning products at TheThriftyCouple.com/SpringCleaning

We also HIGHLY recommend that you put this in your home binder along with many more things we will be sharing! See all of the information on this in our previous post HERE about Put Together Your Home Binder with Free Downloads.

Don’t forget to print off your shopping list to make 23 Homemade Products for around $12 that includes the items for this and the other 222 products!

Finally, use this new thrifty and healthy cleaning product as part of our Spring Cleaning Challenge.

Lynda April 1, 2013 at 11:27 am

Excellent! Quite a savings!

Kiz April 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

I just poured this in my dishwasher. I am excited to push the start button.

Jet Dri has always bothered me. . .the chemicals that are in it. Its color, its smell, what it does. And I’ve been coating my dishes with it for years.

Thanks for WAY BETTER ALTERNATIVE.

Cassie April 3, 2013 at 9:21 am

I know – I feel the same way Kiz and love this too :) I hope it works well for you!!

Kris April 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

I’m curious about Hydrogen Peroxide. I guess I’ve never would have thought it healthy for use on washing dishes. What about vinegar?

Thanks
Kris

Cassie April 22, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hi Kris, You can try vinegar, which wouldn’t harm anything at all…but I am not sure it would have the “sparkling dish” solution. I haven’t tried it. Hydrogen Peroxide is a safe product, and in fact, many many health experts talk about the health benefits of actually consuming 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. I would recommend Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide if you really want to do this ;) However, for cleaning, Hydrogen Peroxide is a safe and in fact healthy product to use. I hope to post an article on our site this week about Hydrogen Peroxide as it can sound like it is alarming if it has been traditionally used for medicinal purposes. It is probably about as safe as vinegar…in the 3% dilution (which is what you buy at Walmart). Both Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar are a safe natural product, but both can be dangerous if they are used in the non-diluted form. Household vinegar is usually a 5% acidity dilution and Hydrogen Peroxide is 3%. Hope that helps!

Kris April 22, 2013 at 8:47 am

Cassie,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Kris

Allison December 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The book for my dishwasher actually says to only use vinegar once a month to clean your dishwasher. It says that it can be corrosive or damage your dishwasher if you use it too much! Stick with peroxide, not vinegar!

Bobbie April 11, 2013 at 8:39 am

I think this would be neat to give as part of a gift (with recipe to make more). Is this something that I can make ahead of time or does it need to be used right away?

Cassie April 22, 2013 at 8:10 am

You could make this as a gift. Just store it in a glass or plastic jar with a cloth covering for both a fun, decorative accent, but also because Hydrogen Peroxide does lose some of it’s potency with light or heat. If you have noticed, when you buy Hydrogen Peroxide, it is in a dark bottle usually. This is to help keep out some light. But it will still work, just keep that in mind :)

Kiz April 16, 2013 at 7:49 am

I run my dishwasher on average once a day. Sometimes twice. I filled my rinse aid container with this recipe on April 3. I used lavander as my oil.
It is awesome. My dishes are more sparkley, and, it might just be me, but I think water tastes better.

I recommend this to ANYONE!

Cassie April 22, 2013 at 8:06 am

Kiz – thank you so much for letting me know your results too! I have awesome results with this, but it is nice to hear it from others too!! Thanks again!

Brenda Massey May 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

Just wondering what the oil is for except to give the inside a more pleasing smell…is it necessary to put it in there? I love saving money where I can !

Cassie May 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi Brenda,

You can omit the oils and let the Hydrogen Peroxide alone shine up and bright up your dishes, which is an option that is totally fine. However, not only do the essential oils make things smell good, but they do also have anti-bacterial properties and fight germs, bacteria and kills microorganisms that cause sickness/disease. I love essential oils and use them in so many things. We do share a list of the 7 best essential oils for cleaning, you can grab one for around $6 a bottle which will last for a long time as there is about 350 drops in it and most of our recipes have around 10-30 drops. The whole group of 7 is a good price for what they will do and how long they will last. Otherwise, the expense can seem very overwhelming! Here’s a link to that post: http://thethriftycouple.com/2013/03/15/hot-deal-on-essential-oils-to-use-in-our-homemade-natural-cleaning-products/

Stephie June 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I just tried this last week and I can’t believe how clean my dishwasher looks! It’s never looked this good,even after a thorough scrubbing by hand!!

Sharon H July 2, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I have a question could this same recipe be used in our swamp cooler to remove minerals?

Cassie July 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I would imagine that it could! Hydrogen Peroxide is used for a lot of things like that! Give it a try!

Denise October 13, 2013 at 8:14 am

Hi!

My dishwasher tech was here yesterday and was not at all happy about me using vinegar, supposedly the acidity ruins the rubber parts. Soooo…not sure about the peroxide either….

Cassie October 21, 2013 at 5:44 am

Hi Denise,

First, I do know a lot of people that use vinegar instead as well. The question is always “how long” as the harsh cleaning chemicals used in commercial products as well degrade the effectiveness of the seal eventually, no matter the product. Second, Hydrogen Peroxide is an entirely different substance, so it’s like trying to relate oranges and apples. Third, when looking at the ingredients of Jet Dry, it is pretty much entirely made of acids of a harsh chemical substance, so damage to the human body as well as harsh cleaning agent used in your machine. I love using Hydrogen Peroxide as a much better alternative. However, that is a decision for you to make. :)

Glenda S. January 20, 2014 at 11:24 am

I want to try this! But I also want to tell everyone that vinegar is safe to use everyday in your dishwasher. We have really, really hard water and I use it in my laundry and in my dishwasher and I no trouble at all.

Carisa February 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Has anyone used the peroxide in a stainless dishwasher? Mine is a brand new Jenn-Air and the entire inside is stainless.

Eva February 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Could you also use Eucalyptus or Rosemary Essential Oils?

My counter cleaner:
1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide
6-8 drops of essential oil (I use Rosemary or Eucalyptus)
Place a spray bottle topper on.

Chris April 15, 2014 at 10:07 am

Won’t the essential oils damage the rubber or any plastics in your dishwasher? I love essential oils but I’ve had them dissolve some plastic in the car when I put some on a cotton ball and stuck that cotton ball into the vent. I would guess they might do the same thing in the dishwasher.

Jacqui June 6, 2014 at 2:39 pm

This is ok for HE dishwashers?

Cassie June 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm

It should be fine. It is not sudsy at all, just a rinse. :)

Carrie August 18, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I have a Bosch which I HATEEEEEEE! I doesn’t dry the dishes. It’s recommended that Jetdry will help but I don’t like the chemicals. Do you think this will help to dry?

Alex August 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Hi Carrie – yes, this should help! I love this. Works well in old dishwashers (as I tried for years) and even in my brand new dishwasher, it’s awesome!