It is time to share another favorite frugal recipe of ours with you today! One thing our family loves is to make fresh fruit and veggie smoothies. We make smoothies several times a week and they are so amazingly good and healthy that we love to repeat! Plus, many of our smoothies that we share use many fruits and vegetables that are in season too!
So yesterday, we made a super yum smoothie and wanted to share it with you! We know many of you have asked for us to share our smoothie recipes in addition to our regular meal recipes, so we will start doing that too 🙂
Plus, we have found that smoothies are a super way to fill our and our children’s tummies with goodness! They slurp those smoothies down with ease as if it were ice cream!
You can use a blender, hand blender, Vitamix or even a food processor.
Today’s smoothie recipe is Morning Orange Glory Smoothie! This is enough for a full 16 oz. glass for Alex and myself and four 8 oz. glasses two-third’s full for the kids! So it is a good amount – just adjust the recipe accordingly for your family!
First, here are the ingredients needed:
- 16 oz. of plain yogurt (one of our favorites is Nancy’s)
- 3 Tablespoons of Flaxseed (optional – we love to include Flaxseed and hide it where ever we can, it is actually quite affordable and goes very far. Amazon has a super stock-up price on them here!)
- 1 cup of grapes (we used red grapes)
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 of a tomato
- 1 cup of celery
- 2 bananas
- 3 Oranges
- 2 cups of Pineapple (these are in season right now, but we do use our frozen stock-pile of pineapple)
- Then add whatever amount of ice you would like for your desired thickness!
- Add all of the ingredients in order to your blender/food processor
- Blend until smooth
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: You can also turn these into freezer pops or even ice cubes for future use by using the fruit that is in season now!
A fruit smoothie for the whole family might seem to be pricey, but when we use many of the tricks we feature in our 30 Ways to Save Money on Produce, and the seasonal fruit sales along with those great deals on yogurt (we stock-up when it goes cheap and store in our freezer so that we can use it when we want!) they become an affordable breakfast. It actually is not a bad price for the whole family and certainly much cheaper than buying the frozen smoothies packs at the grocery store or having them made at a juice shop! BUT even better, we sneak veggies and Flaxseed into ours too and so they are even healthier!
See more of our Recipes to save even more money for a healthier budget and to live healthier lives too!
Products mentioned in this post: