How to Freeze Pineapple: From Cutting To Bagging

by Cassie on March 24, 2012

how to freeze pineapple

You may have seen our post earlier regarding the nearly 40 lbs. of fresh pineapple that we picked up from our produce co-op for only $24.  This came out to be 16 pineapples, which makes them $1.50 each.  Considering that pineapple is in season from March – July, this is the best time of year to grab them and stock up on it for cheaper – then freeze it so you can enjoy it for several months after the season ends.  Also, although they are in season right now, they still sell for $1.99 – $2.99 each pineapple.  You can occasionally buy them for $1.50 each in the store, but it is much nicer to pick up a whole bunch for this price and get them very fresh as well!

So, yes, we will be freezing most of this stock of pineapple for us to enjoy later!

Let’s answer some questions first about how to freeze pineapple:

• You can freeze pineapple for up to 6 months in it’s own juice.
  • We use them for homemade ice cream, our homemade smoothies and foods like this.  We haven’t tried defrosting and eating, but we do enjoy eating it as frozen chunks too!
  • You can freeze it in slices or chunks.
  • Depending on how you plan to use it – you can freeze with or without the core.
  • We freeze with the core as we use it blended in one of the above ways we mentioned in the first bullet.  We have a Vitamix and so it is a heavy duty blender that can blend that tough core. Besides, we want the core as it is filled with extra nutrition.  (You can read about this extra “core” nutrition on the LiveStrong site HERE).
  • We do not do anything extra to the pineapple.  We just literally cut the skin off, chunk it and freeze! We also are not super picky about cutting out the brown skin that is left (as this has nutrition too!) as it requires cutting into the pineapple quite a bit or taking loads of time to pick each one out.  For this purpose, we don’t dig those brown spots out either because the will be blended into our smoothies, ice cream, etc. with the power of the Vitamix.
  • For fresh consumption, we will spend the time to pick most of the brown spots out because no one like the consistency of it when eating fresh!

Here’s How We Cut Our Pineapple!

It is actually extremely simple:

Cut the tops and bottom off.

Cut the pineapple in half down the middle (this makes it easier to shave in the next step).

Then, using your knife, shave off the skins.

Cut into thick slices.

Then cut into cubes!

How to Freeze Pineapple!

• You can freeze them into whatever quantities you want.
  • When freezing in a bag, squeeze out as much air as you can to make them airtight (or use a vacuum sealer)
  • We froze 2 pineapples per each gallon bag.

• When we go to use them, we will bring up one gallon bag from our deep freeze at a time – but only use the amount we need.  We rarely use an entire bag at once but rather typically use one bag of pineapple for several batches of smoothies (mixed with other items) or ice cream or other treats!
  • The final step is to label your bag or container with the amount of pineapple and the date (to keep yourself from guessing how fresh the pineapple is months from now :)).

So when you have the opportunity to grab pineapple for less, even if you are not sure how you would use it fresh, consider grabbing it and then freezing for future use! It is a great extra way to save!

Do you have any tips on how to freeze pineapple? What was your experience

Debbie March 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Fresh pineapple is the best! I’ve never had any leftover to freeze, but I think it’s a good idea.

Suzie March 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I peel mine the same way, but then I cut into very thin 1/4″ to 1/2″ chunks and run them through the dehydrator~ ends up like “pineapple jerky” ;) ~ Lasts a long time and doesn’t take up too much of my freezer space.

Alex March 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Good idea Suzie! That is also a great way to utilize extra pineapple as a snack. Then do you eat it dehydrated, or do you rehydrate? Also, is there a dehydrator that you recommend for those that would rather dehydrate for snacking?

Head Ant March 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Maybe if my pineapple plant ever produces fruit I can do this!

Alex March 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Wow – we live in an area where we could not even think about growing our own! That sounds amazing! We’d love to hear more…..

Lu June 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m a senior that just bought my first fresh pineapple. Loved it. However I wanted to know if I could grow my own, so on the internet I found, ‘Grow Your Own Pineapple,’ from Dole Plantation. Good step by step instructions. I’m going to try it.

Rebekah Martineau March 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Last year I found Pineapple for $.50/each – amazing deal. I made a ton into jam, some with apricots, others just plain. I then played around with adding nutmeg and/or cinnamon – turned out great. I use the seasoned jam to glaze ham or add to other sauces. very yummy. I’ll have to try freezing it, if I ever find an amazing deal again.

thriftycas March 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

That sounds delicious! I haven’t ever thought of a jam with pineapple! Thanks for sharing that tip!

Teacher August 11, 2012 at 7:12 am

Wow, great tips thanks! Has anyone tried freezing spiced pineapple sauce?

Kate@Tips4savingmoney March 26, 2012 at 12:51 am

thanks for sharing. I have never tried this and i hope i wll try this.

Stacy March 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for posting this. I am anxious to try it out. Any tips on getting a Vitamix CHEAP?? I would love to start juicing and want one soooo bad.

Danette D April 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

FYI…we freeze it for sure, and thawed it has almost the same texture as nice and ripe fresh pineapple. I use it in fruit salads, for cooking etc.

Ruth May 12, 2012 at 6:44 am

If you hold the pineapple in one hand and the top with the other and twist opposite ways the top will twist off easily.
I really enjoy your blog!

Cassie May 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Great Tip Ruth! Thank you!

Robin May 31, 2012 at 10:42 pm

We get them on sale often for 99 cents each. I freeze it after using the Pampered Chef Pineapple cutter – an amazing piece of equipment!! They are just fine when they defrost.

Linda Bradshaw March 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Dont forget to plant the tops of the pineapples. They make beautiful plants and also give pineapples!! :) You can just enter “pineapple regrow” on pinterest!

Cassie March 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Wow – I did not know that! That is awesome and I want to research this and see if I can do it in my climate or indoors! You just made me even more excited to stock-up on fresh pineapples! Thanks Linda!

Pam Chaffee June 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Pineapple for sale right now at Fred Meyers for $1.00 a piece and I just cut it and tasted and is very very sweet. Will buy some more and chunk and freeze as this shows. ALSO low fat low calorie ……package angle food cake mix……..I large can or crushed pineapple with juice mix together well ( do not add the egg etc on cake package just the dry mix). Put in 9 by 13 in sprayed with Pam spray and put in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Soooooooo good

Kaitlyn August 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I’ve been wanting to freeze some pineapple to use in smoothies, but wasn’t sure how. This answered all my questions!!!! :)

Kat January 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

I froze some pineapple for the first time yesterday. I then too all the scraps I had cut off, put them in a pot of water on my wood stove. After cooking til soft, I strained it, added a bit of honey and my tea ball full of tea and made some pineapple tea. Also had just a cup without the tea but with a bit of honey and had pineapple cider.

Kat January 23, 2014 at 9:51 am

After reading some above posts I pulled the top back out of my compost container, cleaned it up and put it in a bowl of water. Will see what happens