If you have been using coupons for a while, you know that there are certain things that you can always count on grabbing a deal on like pastas, diapers, canned foods, cereals, rice, etc. But it can be a challenge to grab deals on a regular basis for things like milk, cheese, butter, eggs, meats, bread, etc. We have to buy eggs and milk every week, regardless of whether or not we get a deal. We stock up on cheese and butter and freeze it when we do find those deals and we have shared with you how we buy our meat.
So now we want to share with you one way in which we save a huge amount of money on a popular staple item in most homes: the BREAD products. We catch deals with coupons here and there and we have shown you these deals before, in addition, we make a lot of our own breads, but for the times that we haven’t made bread or gotten a deal in the store. We make a lot of our own breads as our family can nearly go through a whole loaf in one meal! This can add up to be quite an expense unless you plan!
We head to the Bread Wholesaler store! This is the place where all of the stores get their breads to sell on the shelf! We live 20 minutes from a Sara Lee thriftstore and we live 1.5 minutes from a Hostess/Wonder bread thriftstore. Buying from the warehouse saves you an automatic 50% off the store shelf price when you can eliminate the middle man (the grocery stores!).
In addition, the warehouses and thriftstores will have sales too as breads and bakery items are getting closer to the “best buy” date. This means you can get an even greater than 50% discount, more like 75% or more!
If we have a BBQ or a party, we always run to the bread store for the fresh Wonder buns at 50% off. Same thing for the Donettes, Twinkies or anything else that Hostess/Wonder or Sara Lee make!
So we usually just go and grab a few things here and there as we need them, but we went to the bread store today and it was one of the largest bread store trips we’ve made, and we only spent $18.11! They were having a sale on their already 50% off store’s prices to make for even sweeter deals!
Here’s what we bought:
- 4 Whole Wheat Hamburger buns at .83 each = $3.32 ($2.99 in stores
- 2 Whole Wheat Hotdog buns at .83 each = $1.66 ($2.99 in stores)
- 2 Loaves of Whole Grain White bread for .83 = $1.66 ($1.98 in stores)
- 1 Wonder Texas Toast for .83 = .83 (actually not sure of stores price as we never get to buy this ;))
- 1 Home Pride Split Top White Bread .83 = .83 (Around $2 in-stores)
- 1 Wonder Smart Taste bread .83 = .83 (around $2 in-stores)
- 1 Country Oven potato bread for .83 (around $3 in-stores)
- 6 packs of English Muffins for .83 each = $4.98 (around $2.99 each in-store)
- 10 Donettes sale for .40 each = $4.00 (they have the label on them to be shipped to stores that say $1.49 each, but we see them for $1 each often in the stores)
Summary: We bought 30 Hostess/Wonder bread items that would normally retail for around $65 in-stores for only $18.11 – this is a 72% savings!
Have you ever shopped at the bread store warehouses? What was your experience?
See more of Our Shopping Trip Results with Coupon Matchups