This giveaway is now done but the recipe is timeless – check it out below! 🙂
We were recently given the opportunity to try Pillsbury pie crusts. We had some butternut squash that was given to us from a local readers garden that we had left. We love Butternut squash and wanted to see if we could make a pie out of this squash.
We searched the internet and stumbled upon a recipe from the Farmer’s Daughter. We decided to try this recipe above others because it had the least number of ingredients, least amount of steps and this gal won first prize in your local county fair for this pie. That all sounded good to us so we gave it a shot!
Here’s what you will need:
- Fresh Butternut Squash to make 1 cup of squash puree
- 1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
- 1 cup heavy cream (we actually used 1/2 and 1/2 which was just perfect!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
Here’s how to make:
(We did prepare our squash puree differently than she did.)
- Make your Squash puree first. We cut of both end of the squash and cut the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Then with a vegetable peeler, peel off the skin.
- Then cube and chunk the flesh of the Butternut Squash. Put in a pot of boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes to where the squash becomes very soft (like mashed potato soft). Then drain and using a fork mash your squash to a puree. Measure out 1 cup of the puree.
Time to assemble the pie!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Following the directions on the Pillsbury Pie crust box, roll out your pie crust into your pie pan and crimp the edges.
- Then combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with with a wire whisk until smooth. Please note, it will be very liquidy, this is normal.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 and bake for 50-60 more minutes until the filling is slightly puffed and the bottom crust is golden brown. We found ourselves cooking it for a little more than 60 minutes to get the slightly puffed middle and brown crust on the bottom.
- The pie will need to cool completely to set.
- Store in the refrigerator and serve with fresh whipping cream.
This pie was AMAZING and both Thrifty Al and myself thought that this could quite possibly be the best pie either of us have ever tasted! The pie itself turned out perfectly!
We made a second one to take to Thanksgiving dinner today – hopefully we can get our cream right as the pie looks just as amazing! The Pillsbury pie crusts were super easy to use, and very tasty. It also took away the most laborious part of pie making (at least in my opinion) and I could focus more on the pie contents and perfecting that!
So….. How would you like to win a Pillsbury Pie Crust gift pack?
This set could make for a nice Christmas present(s), keep for yourself or even to be put away in your gift bin as a wedding gift. Keep the FREE pie crusts. The only thing that has the Pillsbury logo is on is the pot holder. The pie pan is Pyrex and the nice measuring cup set with the apple shaped trivet, apple corer and apple timer.
It is EASY to enter!
Here’s how this giveaway works, there are four (4) possible ways of entering:
- Just leave a comment – either what your favorite homemade pie is to eat, make or share or other favorite things to make with Pillsbury pie crusts!
For additional entries:
- Like The Thrifty Couple on Facebook and then leave a comment to tell us you did. If you’re already a Liker then even better! Just leave us a comment and tell us you already are.
- Subscribe to The Thrifty Couple email updates PLUS then have our deals delivered to your inbox daily so never miss a deal or another giveaway! You must confirm your subscription before commenting (a confirmation email will be sent to you that you will need to click through to confirm that you would like to receive emails from us!)! If you are already a confirmed subscriber, just leave a comment for another entry. If you are already a confirmed subscriber, then just leave us a comment.
- Also, spread the love by telling your friends about this product and giveaway. Feel free to share this post and giveaway via email, or any social networking site of your choice. Of course, come back here and leave a comment on this post of each way that you shared.
This Giveaway will end on Monday, November 8th at 11:59 p.m. MDT. Get 1, 2, 3 or 4 entries to increase your chances of winning by following the ways to enter above.
A couple of addition points:
- Leave a separate comment for each of the above things you do, each comment and activity you complete is an entry.
- Be sure to leave your comments for entries here on this post to be counted as an entry.
*The information, Pillsbury prize pack and additional prize pack have all been provided by Pillsbury through MyBlogSpark.
Plus – don’t forget about more upcoming Holiday giveaways!